Talk

Advanced search

Brushing baby's teeth

(9 Posts)
Me624 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:21:08

Can someone tell me what exactly I am supposed to be doing in terms of brushing DS's teeth? He is going to be one next week and he has two and a half teeth (one top one is just coming through). He's only had the bottom two for a month or so. The health visitor reminded me at his developmental check that I should start brushing them so I started a couple of weeks ago but to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing! DS is happy to open his mouth and let me brush for a bit but as he has so few teeth presumably I don't need to keep going for the full 2 minutes? He wouldn't tolerate that. After a few moments he clamps his mouth shut and then just chews on the brush. I guess that's ok for now but at what age do I need to become more serious about it?

mimiholls Tue 21-Feb-17 20:10:45

I don't really understand how you can have no idea what youre doing, you brush them in the same way you brush your own teeth? What you're doing sounds fine, yes if he's only got 2 teeth it will take much less time than your own, but you should be 'serious' about it from the start.

welshweasel Tue 21-Feb-17 20:14:27

The main thing is getting some fluoride toothpaste in to the mouth rather than brushing for ages at this stage. And getting them used to the toothbrush. We tend to do it in the bath. If he's being cooperative we do it sittting up and he gets a go after. If he's not then we lie him down on his back and hold his arms with one hand, brush with the other. There's also chewy brushes babies can hold themselves.

Me624 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:27:21

Thanks welsh. I know it sounds stupid mimi but I've used an electric toothbrush for years plus I've never brushed anyone else's teeth before, it seems different to doing my own somehow!

kel1234 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:29:15

The most important thing at that age is to get even a tiny amount of toothpaste in their mouth.
Luckily my lo always loved brushing his teeth.
I just did it the best I could

mimiholls Tue 21-Feb-17 20:37:49

I think you're doing fine don't worry!

SleepFreeZone Tue 21-Feb-17 20:40:20

Smear of age appropriate toothpaste on an age appropriate toothbrush. Sit on lap and brush teeth morning and evening. That is our routine. Not always easy as he has so many teeth and has teethed very painfully love him so sometimes his poor little mouth is sore. But it's more the routine and getting fluoride into his mouth.

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 21-Feb-17 20:52:21

We use one of these and generally DS (now nearly 15 months) is happy to chomp away on it, more so when teething as it must soothe his gums. Unfortunately he goes through phases on hating it too and getting hysterical. Sometimes we have to pin him down to do it but it needs doing and it's surely better that than having to pin him down to get anaesthetic done to get a rotten tooth taken out.

But I too wonder how long we need to brush for. DS has about 7 teeth now and when he chews on the brush he can go for a good few minutes, if he's thrashing and screaming (yes it is that traumatic sometimes no matter how much singing we do), then if we get a few brushes done we're lucky. He's too young to play games about it yet.

Me624 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:29:30

Thanks Coffee I'll look at getting one of those. DS doesn't scream (yet!) he just clamps his mouth shut when he's had enough!

Thanks for all the reassurance, sounds like what I'm doing is ok so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now