Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Hair pulling in 7 year old dd

(3 Posts)
Wannabehermit Tue 21-Feb-17 11:08:46

I've just been rearranging DD's room for new furniture and behind a chest of drawers under her high sleeper I've found loads ( about 20) of little clumps of hair where she's tied her hair into little clumps and then bitten them off! I have noticed her hair looking a bit thin in places, and yesterday she cut off a piece of her hair at school. The thinness I put down to her diet. She has been low in iron in the past because of her poor diet and appetite.

She's generally quite a good girl, does get a bit tearful and tired at times. There has been a lot of stress in the family recently. Do you think I should take her to the GP? Is it likely she's got an anxiety problem? What would do and how would you approach it?

tinkiiev Tue 21-Feb-17 19:34:38

Hi - our DS (8) had this recently.

He gets anxious and gets various "habits" - nervous tics really. He had a stammer for a few weeks, for example. He's a lot better this year as has a really good teacher (last year his class was quite unsettled).

The advice I have seen about nervous habits like this is to ignore the habit but reassure the child - listen to them, let them tell you their worries, sympathise etc. Try and talk to them about self calming techniques like breathing. I got DS some worry beads also, which helped a little (till he lost them...hmm) And if the habit doesn't go away or change into something else after a few weeks, maybe then consult the GP.

The important thing is to try to not make a big deal out of it though; I haven't been to the GP because I feel it would be making it into an issue.

It's so worrying, I know; it made me so sad that my DS was doing this. flowers

Mix98 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:47:24

In your shoes, I would go to the GP without my child. That way, you're not making it into a huge deal for them, but you're also getting professional advice about how to deal with it. It doesn't sound like a short phase sort of thing, so I'd definitely want to find out ways to stop it in case it gets worse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: