Talk

Advanced search

At my wits end

(33 Posts)
Andysgirl15 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:03:11

My DS is 7 weeks and I don't know what to do anymore. The time is now 8pm and no word of a lie since 9am this morning he's had 10 yes 10 bottles mainly 4/5 ounces and he's constantly crying for more. I've tried hungry milk before and it doesn't work it just makes him constipated. People have suggested a little baby rice or rusk in his bottle but IMO he's too young for it. I really don't know what to do anymore. As I sit here writing this he's screaming at me and I'm not ashamed to say Im sat here in tears aswell because this can't continue and I'm all out of ideas

Laquila Sat 18-Feb-17 20:05:41

Oh I really sympathise. I agree that rusk or baby rice would be a bad idea at such a very young age, but have you spoken to your HV or GP about a possible allergy, or reflux? Is he a sicky baby?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 18-Feb-17 20:05:44

Oh no ?! My daughter would go quite if I let her suck my little finger ( hands washed etc ) seemed to work and she's soon drift off to sleep ?! Hope that might help ?!

Laquila Sat 18-Feb-17 20:06:30

If it's not a daft question, how do you k who that when's he's crying, it's because he's hungry? How much does he sleep, day and night?

Andysgirl15 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:20:56

I know he's hungry because he's rooting, sucking on his fist and really gulps the bottle when he's given it. He was diagnosed with reflux at 2 weeks but it seemed to be clearing. He usually sleeps most of the day and wakes every 3 hours for a feed and goes back to sleep and same on a night but today I'm lucky if yes even had an hour all day

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:22:12

Have you used a dummy at all?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 18-Feb-17 20:24:59

When babies cry generally they're either hungry, needing help to poo or needing help to sleep. So feed, change and help him sleep. If he's hungry then feed him. You can feed on demand using bottles. It's so hard when they're little but he's not trying to annoy you

PegaGryf Sat 18-Feb-17 20:25:11

It sounds a lot like reflux, has he had medication? I'm so sorry you're going through this. My daughter had silent reflux and drove me to the very edge of my sanity. I fed her for 16hrs one day. It was hell. Pure hell.
flowers

Andysgirl15 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:31:13

He's got a dummy but he's not interested. I've tried rocking him to sleep, putting him in his bouncer, his pram, his moses basket and his baby bean bag and nothing. I've changed his nappy endless times, I put him in a long sleeved vest because I thought he might have been too warm as it's 19.5 degrees in my house then when it got cooler I put a thin blanket over him. I've tried white noise videos off youtube and still he cries and only shuts up when he gets fed then 10 mins later he's wanting more.

He was given gavisvon by gp but never seemed to work so stopped using it and he's been fine for a couple of weeks and now this

Jemimabelle Sat 18-Feb-17 20:36:56

If it's the only way he'll settle, keep feeding him. If this is a change from his normal routine, it's probably down to a growth spurt, and he might be like this for a couple of days before being more settled again! It's hard work at the time, but all these funny phases and growth spurts are usually short lived!

Andysgirl15 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:41:21

Even though he's baby number 2 it's new to me as my DD was never like this she was an amazing baby even when she had reflux aswell, she never cried. Stupid me thought he would be like her. Oh how wrong was i

Bubspub Sat 18-Feb-17 20:52:17

Reflux can make them comfort feed, I think they crave the milk to quell the burning sensation. My boy ended up resembling a sumo wrestler, constant feeding and rapid, the health visitor couldn't believe how fast he necked 6 oz! Have you tried sitting him up lots? Feeding in baby swing/rocker? Lots and lots of walks out, motion seems to help. White noise. Gripe water helps with reflux. It's such a difficult thing to deal with and you may feel like you're going crazy, you have my sympathy x

FourToTheFloor Sat 18-Feb-17 20:54:55

I had to convince dd2 she wanted the dummy. I'd tap on it while it was in her mouth, can you try to perseve with it?

Bubspub Sat 18-Feb-17 20:56:30

Also have you tried different dummy types/brands? My boy loved the MAM ones if that's any help x

RMC123 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:58:37

We had this with my second. And the hungrier baby milk made him constipated too. It was a long time ago (14 years!!) but seemed to remember we did use the hungrier baby milk but diluted it by adding an extra ounce of water. - 4 scoops of formula to 5 ozs of water. That seemed to keep him more hydrated And the extra fluid filled him too. Would giving him a couple more ounces eat feed help? It's a long time ago and I don't remember the guidelines that clearly!

Believeitornot Sat 18-Feb-17 21:01:57

How long have you tried the different things for? It might take a good 20-30 mins especially as he's like to be over tired and just needs to sleep but can't.

Have you got a sling? Can you pop him in and go for a walk? We did that in desperation once at 3am and it was the only thing that worked! Ds had reflux. I didn't give formula because it made it worse. We had to push for ranitidine as gaviscon was pants.

Cockadoodledooo Sat 18-Feb-17 21:22:52

Is there anyone who can help you out, take him for a while so you can have some peace? Can you take him out for a walk or a drive? (Or ask someone else to do it so you can rest).

Bless you, it's horrible but he's not doing it on purpose.

PegaGryf Sat 18-Feb-17 22:48:19

Yes a sling could be a life saver here. Gaviscon is rather shite ime, could you go back to the Gp? There are other things they can try.

Pertie Sun 19-Feb-17 08:19:40

Sorry but I really don't understand what the issue is...if he's hungry, feed him.

Andysgirl15 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:36:50

Pertie that comment was a bit insensitive as it's pretty obvious that over feeding like he's doing can make him sick and more likely to suffer wind so it's not a case of 'oh just feed him' it's about finding a solution and a reason as to why he's feeding so much..

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Glad to say he finally settled about 10:00 last night and only woke twice for a couple of ounces then went straight back to sleep until 8am. He's been a lot better today so I'm hoping it was just really bad reflux that's settled or a growth spurt.

I had a baby carrier and I used to take him everywhere in it and he loved it but he's put on that much weight that it really hurts my shoulders and back so I ended up binning it. He loves his car seat on his pram because it slightly sits up so I put him in that last night and once he was fully asleep I transferred to his moses basket and he was fine. The car seat is a life saver but obviously due to development reasons he can only use it for a short amount of time.

What's really ironic though is he was fine when his dad got home from work last night around 10pm he suddenly didn't want to feed anymore. I really don't understand my child lol

Bubspub Sun 19-Feb-17 12:43:40

Andysgirl my DS's reflux symptoms (screaming his head off, comfort feeding, puking) were strangely only during the daytime too, never at night. I think if people haven't experienced it it's hard for them to imagine what it's like. They assume if you feed/change/cuddle your child you will automatically get a happy child, but with reflux that's really not the case.

Bubspub Sun 19-Feb-17 12:46:35

I know that because I had some really 'helpful' suggestions from people when I was going through it, such as maybe he needs feeding? Yes, I actually did try that, probably to excess and guess what he's still crying!

Trooperslane Sun 19-Feb-17 12:50:37

Get out of the house as much as you can. It's so much harder to cope inside when they're crying all the time.

Big hugs. And BTW DD is 3.5 and I still haven't got a fucking clue so get used to not understanding them - everyday is a school day grin

Pertie Sun 19-Feb-17 18:01:24

Hmmm, nope sorry, still don't get it.

You haven't said that he's being sick. But you have said that he is clearly hungry. And that he settles when you've fed him.

So I would have thought it was obvious that the reason he's feeding a lot is because...he's hungry.

And if you think it's reflux, try the gaviscon again. Jeez, it's not rocket science.

PegaGryf Mon 20-Feb-17 16:04:45

andysgirl
I'd say back to docs. Gaviscon is shit. Also I second bubs, its unimaginable unless you've gone through it. Just hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now