Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Daughter screaming at the end of meal time!!!

(23 Posts)
littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:12:11

So my daughter loves her food. Always has. But recently she's taken things to a whole new level. When she comes to the end of a meal, she is literally inconsolable. It doesn't make a difference how much food I give her, when the bowl/plate is empty, she can't bare it.

She's a great sleeper and goes about 13.5 hours overnight (bar one 15 minute feed), so I tend to find breakfast is the easiest meal for her to cope with as she's well rested. She'll get very upset but I can always eventually calm her down. With lunch (which is just before a nap) and with dinner (which is directly before her bedtime (she goes to bed at 5.30pm)) she is so distraught. She will not stop screaming until she's in her bed.

It's got to the point I physically can't feed her on the go anymore. Any suggestions? Has anyone experienced this? She's 8 months old and otherwise a really happy baby but these "tantrums" or whatever they are, are very difficult to manage.

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:14:14

I can't really change her mealtimes to after naps as she sleeps from 8.45 - 10.30 and 12.30 until 2. She eats breakfast at 7, lunch at 12, dinner at 5.

GTS Fri 17-Feb-17 23:19:17

Does she have milk as well? How much food is she having at mealtimes?
That sounds like a lot of sleep!

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:26:03

She sleeps a crazy amount. Always has and I was concerned and spoke to the HV but she's totally on track with all of her milestones so they were happy.

I was giving her one formula top up at night and breastfeeding the rest but she has dropped all her breastfeeds now and is down to just the bottle at night. I told the HV and she said it's because she's so good with food, she's weaned early. The HV seemed to think she just must enjoy the process of meal time. I give her large portions of filling, nutritious meals at every meal time. There's not a single food I've tried with her that she hasn't happily eaten. As a younger baby, she'd finish her breastfeed and then cry at the end but the meltdowns are now so intense. I thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice as the HV didn't seem to have any solutions.

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:27:56

I offer her a cup with some cowsmilk with her breakfast (which is either porridge or weetabix and fruit). I give her water with her other meals and as and when throughout the day.

Mottlemoth Fri 17-Feb-17 23:28:38

I'm no expert but I think she should be having more milk than just one bottle in the middle of the night. Have you tried offering her a bottle straight after her meals?

GTS Fri 17-Feb-17 23:33:09

She's too young to be having cowsmilk as a main drink in the day, it's fine on cereal or in cooking but needs to wait until she's 12 months for a main drink. I think she needs more formula in the day if she's not breastfeeding anymore...I would probably offer her some after her meal times, or try before if she's not wildly enthusiastic.

iknowimcoming Fri 17-Feb-17 23:33:34

I agree one bottle of formula at 8 months doesn't sound enough to me

Graphista Fri 17-Feb-17 23:36:46

Could pain/reflux be the cause? Eating (especially carbs/dairy) can temporarily relieve the pain/discomfort of reflux/heartburn.

Are there certain foods she is gravitating towards/avoiding?

Does her breath smell sour? What colour is poo?

Graphista Fri 17-Feb-17 23:38:00

Also while large portions at meal times she still has a small tummy and should be having more milk (formula or breast) and small snacks.

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:38:15

Great, thank you. I was concerned about her dropping her breastfeeds so probably right to think the two may be connected. I'll try giving more formula. It's a shame as I really miss breastfeeding her and wish we could have carried on until she is 1 like I did with DD1 sad Things don't always go to plan where babies are concerned though I suppose.

Graphista Fri 17-Feb-17 23:39:22

Nah unpredictable little sods eh! grin

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:40:43

I don't think it's reflux as she's very happy for the most part and will literally eat any food that she comes into contact with. Really appreciating all this helpful advice. Thank you.

GTS Fri 17-Feb-17 23:42:51

Might also coincide with teething. Sometimes eating can really help with the pain associated with that.
Don't feel bad about not bf as long as you did with DD1, all babies have different needs and preferences..you did amazing to go as long as you did tbh. I'd up the formula and see how you go xx

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:43:07

Yes graphista grin

I'm going to the park and out to lunch tomorrow with DD1 and friends but I'm having to leave her with DH as there's no way I can take her into a cafe knowing the state she'll get herself into! Feeling major guilt about leaving her but it's really impossible!

littlemisshappy5 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:44:50

Thanks for the moral support GTS much appreciated smile

GoosevonMoose Fri 17-Feb-17 23:57:51

What about snacks? She's very young to go that long between meals. I'd offer snacks and definitely more formula.

Graphista Fri 17-Feb-17 23:59:11

Leave the guilt behind.

My milk dried at 9 months (I wanted to do year min too) shit happens!

Yea could be teething too.

FannyFifer Sat 18-Feb-17 00:10:17

Is she not having anything for the 5 hours between meals?
At 8 months she should still be having formula or breast milk as the main nutrition.

littlemisshappy5 Sat 18-Feb-17 07:15:05

She's not eating between meals and shows absolutely no signs of being hungry before her next meal time. My other daughter ate much more little and often but DD2 eats almost the same portions as DD1 (age 3). She has been a dream to wean in the sense that she is not fussy at all and loves her food. Should I add in snacks & formula and cut the sizes of her meals a little? She literally doesn't get even in the slightest bit grumpy as meal time approaches, it's purely after the meal that she has a break down.

littlemisshappy5 Sat 18-Feb-17 07:15:41

She's actually not far off 9 months now, not that it probably makes any odds.

shitwithsugaron Sat 18-Feb-17 07:23:57

At that age I was alternating my DD's meals and milk so (very roughly I should add) our day looked like this..
7am milk
9am breakfast
11am milk
1pm lunch
3pm milk
5pm tea
7pm bedtime Milk
At 14 months she still eats constantly although only having 2 bottles of cows milk per day

GoosevonMoose Sat 18-Feb-17 08:22:08

If she's eating the portions of a 3 year old and going that long between food she might well hurt after a meal. She might be trying to stuff in way more than her stomach can handle. I would just offer milk before a sleep and add in snacks. I wouldn't cut down her portions. I'd let her tell you when she's done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now