Talk

Advanced search

Siblings- winding each other up and driving me mad

(8 Posts)
egginacup Thu 16-Feb-17 21:40:05

I have 2 DDs age 8and 6, who seem to either be constantly at each other's throats or else when they are getting on they wind each other up and egg each other on to the point of ridiculous silliness so I end up getting really cross with them. We've had some lovely days out this week which have almost been ruined by the way they are together.

DD1 in particular will say quite horrible things to DD2, calling her disgusting, saying she eats so loudly she won't sit next to her etc, but DD2 will often retaliate with a thump or a kick which just makes the situation worse. DD2 is also constantly 'telling on' DD1, 'she said I smell, she called me a meanie' etc. I feel like I'm constantly nagging and telling them off, taking things away for bad behaviour, reminding them we use kind words etc, it just doesn't sink in. Often DD1 will say she wishes she didn't have a sister, she doesn't love DD2. When they are getting on it often descends into complete silliness, for example today we were in a restaurant and I ended up sending them to wait for
me outside while I paid the bill because they were giggling, being generally loud and probably very annoying to other customers. I told them off, DD1 ended up sulking then crying, saying she thought I was always saying I wanted them to get along.

I'm a single parent and took this week off to be with them and to be honest feel a bit of a failure and that their behaviour has ruined what was supposed to be a really lovely week.

uhoh2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:29:07

Just ignore it because it will be annoying you more than them. Siblings fight and argue it's nature. Unless there's blood don't get involved. If they start to tell tale tell them you aren't interested and to sort squabbles between themselves.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 16-Feb-17 22:31:16

In the siblings handbook, winding each other up is on the 1st page. Sorry. wine

weaselwords Fri 17-Feb-17 08:39:30

This is so normal that you should congratulate yourself on bringing up your children well lol.

You may get a lessening if you can find them a common interest or enemy

egginacup Sun 19-Feb-17 13:03:47

Sorry, I went to sleep thinking there weren't any replies! I guess it makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing they're just being normal. Bloody hard work though, roll on school!

ShelaghTurner Sun 19-Feb-17 13:45:37

9 and 5 here and this is the first school holiday that I've wanted to murder them. They cannot leave each other alone. They're drawn to each other like magnets, it's absurd. They spend roughly 5% of the day playing nicely and 95% shrieking, yelling, arguing, hitting, pulling hair, pushing etc etc. They drive me insane. But they won't stay away from each other. I'm so close to putting them up for sale on eBay...

Tweedledumb0 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:14:12

It is normal, but actually that level of fighting isn't very pleasant for you, or them either. Two things I'd recommend: a book called Sibling Love, Sibling Rivalry, which has some really helpful techniques for dealing with this; and a family star chart, where you can recommend the kids, and they can recommend each other, or even you, to put a star on a small blank bit of paper for anything kind/thoughtful... And when the paper is full of stars, everyone gets to agree on a family treat.

Good luck, OP!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 17:43:12

It does get better. DC1 is almost glued to his Xbox or out playing football. I hardly ever see him smilewine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now