Talk

Advanced search

How do you manage when you're ill?

(19 Posts)
Daisies123 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:58:36

One DD, 14 months, at nursery three days a week. I went into work on Mon, feeling dreadful with a cold, and by the end of day had stomach upset too. Was off sick Tues and Wed after being in bathroom all Mon night!

Now really struggling with DD at home and feeling awful. I've managed to get her up and breakfasted (couldn't face any myself as nauseous) but daren't try the stairs with her again as feel giddy. Have rung DH and he's on way home from work.

Bit worried as he doesn't have much annual leave left to take so thinking about paying for a day in nursery 2moro for DD.

What do others do when you feel so ill you can't manage the stairs/produce food etc but still got DC to look after?

Grandparents not an option- three dead, one at a distance and she isn't fit enough to look after DD. DD's Godparents are also all over 100 miles away. My friends are either at work or at a distance or both!

measles64 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:00:46

So sorry my family were unable to help I had no nursery to fall back on which would have been wonderful, so I would suggest the nursery and have a duvet day.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:03:06

I do just as you have.

My DH either stays at home to look after DS or I pay to send him into nursery.

I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant and have had an horrendous pregnancy since about 7 weeks in and my DS has spent a lot of extra time in nursery as a result.

Looking after a young child when you're ill yourself is just unbearable.

I'm glad your DH is on his way home and I hope you feel better soon flowers

ElsieBobo Thu 16-Feb-17 13:03:21

I struggle with this too, have 2DC age 2 and under and husband who travels a lot. TBH it's a source of frequent anxiety for me, worrying what I'll do if I get sick and have no back up.

Daisies123 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:11:44

Thanks- glad I'm not the only one! Had temperature in night but it seems to have come down again, now I just feel sick, giddy and totally washed out.

Even paid for a flu jab in the autumn in the hope it would stop me getting anything too awful.

Chattycat78 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:37:27

HeAring this. I had a stomach bug thing yesterday and during the night and I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. I also had hyperemesis in my second pregnancy so was throwing up 10 times a day and looking after a 10 - 11 month old with a bucket next to me. sad it was awful.

Muddling through is the answer unfortunately, and early nights.

Somehowsomewhere Thu 16-Feb-17 21:39:58

Errr... badly. I'm a SAHM to a 3 year old and 1 year old, and DH works away most of the week. No family help. Last week I had a chest infection, temp was 40.4 one day! I don't have a nursery option so it was basically just about survival. And lots of CBeebies.

littledinaco Thu 16-Feb-17 21:46:34

It's awful, one of the hardest things about being a parent.
I've got through with lots of telly, not making proper meals for lunch for them (so toast, banana, bit of cut up cheese) just whatever I could throw together. Getting lots of drinks/snacks out so you're not up and down when they ask for stuff. I used to keep an emergency 'new toy' stash - normally bits picked up from charity shops and hid away. That usually got me through when I was ill.
Mine napped till quite old so I used to count the hours down till nap time (go to bed with them) and then again until DH got home then go straight to bed.
It's horrible, you've just got to get through as best you can.

Caterina99 Fri 17-Feb-17 00:25:55

If you have the option for extra nursery days then I'd do that rather than having DH use up extra leave. You use so much leave when they are sick and can't go to nursery.

It's horrible though. Been there and done that. My advice is basically lounge about at home and lots of tv. Easy meals for DD. Basically just get through the day until nap time/bed time/DH gets home

Daisies123 Fri 17-Feb-17 07:42:00

We survived yesterday- DH eventually got home after his train broke down and he had to get a taxi!
DD is doing an extra day at nursery today. I'm hoping another day in bed will get me on the mend...

Daisies123 Fri 17-Feb-17 07:43:46

What age do they get into tv? DD is 14 months and never watched it- I've tried putting it on for her a few times but she just isn't interested.

Oblomov17 Fri 17-Feb-17 07:45:04

I used to just let them watch tv. I'd lie on the sofa and they'd play or watch tv. Not ideal, but hardly damaging. Ease up on yourself.

Somehowsomewhere Fri 17-Feb-17 07:45:44

Some, never! DD1 is 3 and will watch 10 mins then want to do something else. DD2 is 19 months and is happy to watch a programme or two.

imjessie Sun 19-Feb-17 21:16:49

I just get on with it ! I've been a mum for 14 years and have just carried on while being ill . Take some vitamins and try not to get ill .

Somehowsomewhere Sun 19-Feb-17 21:50:42

I just get on with it ! I've been a mum for 14 years and have just carried on while being ill . Take some vitamins and try not to get ill

Not always that easy though is it? When DD2 was tiny I developed mastitis and sepsis, and spent a week in hospital. Couldn't just 'get on with it'. And there wasn't much i could do to avoid getting it.
8 months later I got quinsy. Again, 2 days in hospital.

donajimena Sun 19-Feb-17 21:56:49

Its bloody awful. I'm a lone parent and I had Norovirus when they were one and three. I put an appeal out on Facebook and was surprised and delighted in equal measures when someone I didn't consider a close friend came and rescued me and the children.
I'm awaiting the day when I see a similar appeal to repay the favour.
I was desperate.

Daisies123 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:28:58

So glad someone rescued you @donahimena that's a lovely story.

To the people who said to just get on with it... how, if you can't stand up, or lift your child, or (as happened with a friend) you're seriously ill and admitted to hospital.

I'm feeling a lot better now, but that's after three days in bed last week during which there's no way I could have looked after DD. I suppose it's easier once children are older as they understand how to do more to help, don't need carrying etc

littledinaco Sun 19-Feb-17 22:57:23

Gkad you're feeling better OP.
Obviously if you're admitted to hospital then you can't manage. In situations where people have no help, SS can find someone to look after DC.

If you have the option of help then take it.

As for how do you get on with it - sometimes you just have to, you literally have no choice. I've been in situations with no help (HG, really bad, was admitted to hospital on a drip) had toddler to look after. Nearly passing out with vomiting & dehydration - had to shut toddler and myself in bathroom. Was awful, got through as best we could until someone was able to come and help (in the evening) I then went to hospital and was admitted.
Far from ideal but when you've got no choice you HAVE to cope.
I've had lots of similar situations but that was probably the worst. I'll do the Facebook appeal next time though grin

imjessie Mon 20-Feb-17 08:13:58

Obviously if you are in hospital you can't look after the kids but otherwise I have just got oh with it . I've always had horses though so you just can't be sick or they die .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now