Talk

Advanced search

Weaning

(13 Posts)
Youhaveupdates1 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:37:00

I'm struggling to get to grips with weaning my 6 and half month old. He is ds2 so I should know how to wean but I'm finding it all much harder this time round (might be because he never bloody sleeps and I'm exhausted) but he doesn't like purée - he pulls faces and just spits it out, I've tried with cooked veg he just spits it out and it ends up in his bib. He just doesn't seem interested in anything other than milk. My ds1 loved his food and took to it straight away so I'm a little confused
I know that he is still little so milk is priority but how can I help him like the food, is it just a case of keep giving him the same foods daily?
Because he hasn't been interested I haven't bothered trying everyday - I'm not in a very good routine to be honest as he has always been a fussy baby. I am working on that though!

If anyone can give me some advice i would be grateful smile

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 12:26:14

He doesn't have to eat. It might be that he's just not interested and will be more ready in a month or two?

Have you looked into baby led weaning? I'd just offer a bit of whatever you or your DS1 are eating and if he eats it, great; if he doesn't, well you haven't gone to the effort of making something just for him.

Heirhelp Thu 16-Feb-17 12:37:08

Look into blw. With blw there is no pressure or even an expectation for them to eat anything at all at the beginning.

How old is your older child?

Youhaveupdates1 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:02:20

I have done some reading on BLW and for lunch today offered a piece of chicken and a finger of bread and butter which he seemed ok with, mostly sucked and threw it but I was happy with that.
My oldest is 3 in March

My ds1 devoured purée straight away and then I slowly added finger foods as he got older (I was worried about him choking so I didn't offer many finger foods until he was probably one).

we are having curry tonight so maybe I can give him just some rice to play with and a piece of plain chicken.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 13:26:51

With BLW, the only rules are no honey and low salt so if the curry isn't too high in salt, he can have that. I'd just put rice on his tray with some of the chicken in longer chip size pieces. I have never done purées but my DD always eats much better when she's having the same as everybody else, even now as a toddler.

Youhaveupdates1 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:37:17

Hmm think there would be too much salt in the curry as it's a jar tonight blush I will separate some chicken in strips and rice and give him that.

My ds1 doesn't eat many finger foods, he much prefers hot meals rather than sandwiches etc not sure if that's linked to him not having a great deal of finger foods as a baby??

Hellmouth Thu 16-Feb-17 13:47:48

I was thinking of creating a thread like this as I'm experiencing the same issue with my DS.

He does stare at our food a lot though, so maybe we do need to try BLW!

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:10

Could just be kids for you! My DD eats well at the moment but I'm expecting the phase where she refuses everything. I've got DS now and my plan for weaning is just to offer whatever we're having and try not to over complicate it!

Have you seen the BLW cookbook? I basically make all my meals from that now (low salt!) but it's also got sections with ideas for breakfast, lunch and snacks which are good for when you can't think how to make it easy for a 6 month old to pick up.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 13:52:34

And any hot meals will be fine, you just have to be a bit creative about how you offer them to the youngest. There also nothing wrong with putting a bit on a spoon for them to feed themselves.

Youhaveupdates1 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:09:05

No I haven't seen that book, I will have a look tonight as that would be easier than thinking of things which are suitable.

My ds2 also stares at our food longingly but not so interested when it's in his hands grin

Can they have scrambled eggs at this age?

I gave him a spoon to play with earlier in the hope he gets used to it and the feeling so will keep doing that too.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 16:29:28

Yes, eggs are absolutely fine. Just have to be properly cooked! Omelette strips can be easier for them to pick up at this stage but scrambled egg in big lumps is fun too.

ILoveCheeseMoreThanYou Thu 16-Feb-17 16:33:19

I thought no rice until over 4? Good luck OP.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 16-Feb-17 17:50:27

That's not UK advice at the moment. The NHS lists foods to avoid/limit - honey, salt, sugar, whole nuts, low-fat foods, saturated fats, shark, swordfish, marlin, raw shellfish and raw or undercooked eggs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now