Talk

Advanced search

How am I going to manage this??

(31 Posts)
Rubysmummy2016 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:39:38

My DH has all the sudden got this unpaid workplacement starting tomorrow morning, since my daughter was born we have done everything regarding her care together, I've got a really bad back so hes had to carry the pushchair up and down four flights of stairs whenever we want to go out. And now I'm panicking. We have plans nearly every day for the next 3 weeks and I've no idea how I'm going to get her out of the house.

I've though of leaving her in her cot, taking the pushchair down and then fetching her but everyone I've mentioned this to says the pushchair might be stolen confused

I have terrible anxiety, he came to every baby group with us, every outing, he does just as much care for our daughter as I do and now I'm in a full panic of how I'm going to cope sad

This is a long term training placement that could be up to 6 months, and my daughter is a year old so very luckily I've never had to do this on my own. Has anyone got any advice?

Thank you

Ishoos Wed 15-Feb-17 19:44:32

Could you try a sling? Is there anyone you know in the flats who might watch your prank whilst you carry the other stuff downstairs? Could you get a bike lock and chain the pram up? Hope you get sorted.

Ishoos Wed 15-Feb-17 19:45:15

Prank??? Pram!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:47:20

Buy a cheap lighter buggy you can manage on your own. Sounds like you are a bit anxious about being on your own and leaving the house tbh!! Have some fun with your dd and take pics for her daddy!!

NonnoMum Wed 15-Feb-17 19:48:41

Where would you take the pram down to? A shared hallway? Can you leave it there all the time so just have to worry about getting you and the baby up and down stairs?
Do you live in flats? Is there another mum in the same situation as you? Could one of you mind two babies whilst the other one gets the prams?

Rubysmummy2016 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:52:49

I'm not sure what age the slings go up to to be honest, and I'm not sure how my back would feel. The only people I really get on with are on the top floor like me lol

We've got a silver cross pop, which is really light but I've got really short arms so it's hard to bump it up and down.

Yeah you're right, I'm really anxious about it. My DH and I have always been a really tight team, so maybe it's just I don't know how to do much solo. X

Rubysmummy2016 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:55:39

There's a staired hallway with another set of stairs going down just a few steps to maintenance cupboard, I was going to put it just in front of there so it would be out of sight from people going past x

HarrietVane99 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:01:08

Most blocks of flats don't allow things to be stored in communal areas for safety reasons, so I wouldn't rely on being able to do that.

Fakenewsday Wed 15-Feb-17 20:05:44

I've always stored my pram in a communal hall. You can try it and see if anyone complains about it. Do you have any family that can stop by and help you get out a bit until you feel more confident doing it on your own? I remember really struggling to get out with dc1, but it is like absolutely everything, the more you do it, the easier it feels.

Rubysmummy2016 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:06:00

Do you think I'd get in trouble if it's only left there for a few minutes while I put my daughter in her cot? X

EsmesBees Wed 15-Feb-17 20:12:48

You can get very light umbrella fold buggies that you might be able to carry with your daughter. Otherwise, you can use slings for years, so should be fine at one year. I have arthritis in my lower back so need to be careful, and have a great sling called a Manduca, which transfers all the weight to my hips. I'd recommend going to a local sling meet and trying a few out.

Fakenewsday Wed 15-Feb-17 21:33:42

I can't see that you'd get into trouble if it's not there long, you'd have to have some incredibly petty neighbours - you see buggies in the communal stair everywhere around here.

AntiHop Thu 16-Feb-17 00:10:43

I live on the 4th floor with no lift. It's a pain isn't it! I used a sling instead of a buggy until she was around 14 months and we still use it now sometimes aged 2 and a half. I think it would be hard for you to start using a sling at 12 months as it's easier to get used to when they're tiny. But it's not impossible. Google for your nearest sling library so you can try some out and get some advice on using a sling. We use a beco Gemini which I got on with very well.

We also bought the lightest possible maclaren which is the mark II. It's only 3kg. I can carry that and dd up the stairs at the same time if she's not in the mood to walk.

AntiHop Thu 16-Feb-17 00:13:13

This is the maclaren we have www.mothercare.com/buggies-and-strollers/maclaren-mark-ii-stroller---black/770657.html

OneWithTheForce Thu 16-Feb-17 00:18:58

You surely weren't planning on your husband Not working until your child was out of the pram so he could lift it down the stairs?

Fakenewsday Thu 16-Feb-17 16:17:30

how are you getting on today Ruby? I hope not too badly, let us know how you're faring.

LlandudnoLlandudno Thu 16-Feb-17 17:29:30

I am up a flight of stairs. If I don't need to carry anything I use a sling. Otherwise I take the pushchair down first and then bring DS. It could be stolen I guess but I'm only away from it for a couple of minutes.

Rubysmummy2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:38:40

It was a rough day, my daughter was really unsettled and I think she could sense that I was anxious. There were a few tears on both sides, we didn't go out in the end, I don't think either of were up for it but we're definitely going out tomorrow

Onewiththeforce, not at all. I just thought I'd have a little more notice to prepare, as I thought he'd be starting on Monday.

Fakenewsday Thu 16-Feb-17 19:43:20

congratulations on getting through the first day, it's over now. Going out tomorrow seems like a good goal. When I'm having a tough day I always find getting out helps, or putting on some music and dancing with them. At least a quick change means you didn't have a lot of time to anticipate which can be the worst bit.

Rubysmummy2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:56:02

Yeah, she's got her cake smash tomorrow so it's something really fun to go out and do together smile

Fakenewsday Thu 16-Feb-17 19:58:01

what's a cake smash? That does sound like fun!

Caterina99 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:04:18

Hi OP I remember how scared I was taking DS out on my own when DH went back to work, but you need to get out of the house and once you do it a couple of times, it'll be second nature to you

Suggestion of taking buggy downstairs first and then coming back for baby sounds like a good one. A backpack style bag, so you are hands free, and pack everything up the night before so you do t suddenly get to the bottom of the stairs and realize you e forgotten something.

If you have reins your DD may be old enough soon to go up/down the stairs on her own (with you holding the reins) and you can carry the buggy?

WheresTheEvidence Fri 17-Feb-17 13:06:04

How old is she?

Artandco Fri 17-Feb-17 13:06:29

At 1 year I would let daughter start walking up stairs with hand hold or crawl if indoor ones.
Otherwise a sling for back to just get down and up and can transfer to pram at bottom

BAByzen yoyo pram is what you need

WheresTheEvidence Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:35

Just seen she is a year. Are you seriously telling me that your husband has been out of work for the last year and spent every minute with you sharing the load. Have you really not done any of it alone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now