Talk

Advanced search

Babies opening cupboards

(12 Posts)
cookieswirls Tue 14-Feb-17 08:46:19

How can I stop this? I'm worried they will trap their fingers. Obviously there isn't nothing dangerous inside the accessible cupboards but with twins I can't stop them both from slamming fingers if ones across the room . How can I stop them opening them?

mouldycheesefan Tue 14-Feb-17 08:48:40

You put those cupboard safety catches on. Get them in IKEA or mothercare or on Amazon. I have twins as well. Once you have the catches on it's not an issue. I also have those u shaped foam hooks you put on doors so they can't slam the door in their fingers. And a stair gate so they can't get in the kitchen. Basically you make it as safe and risk free as possible.

megletthesecond Tue 14-Feb-17 08:49:48

You can get stick on rubbery 'locks' that are too hard for little ones to undo. Or failing that duck tape until they grow out of it.

savagehk Tue 14-Feb-17 08:51:42

ih you can't screw things in (renting) there are magnetic ones too, www.safetots.co.uk/babydan-magnetic-drawer-and-cupboard-lock.html

empirerecordsrocked Tue 14-Feb-17 08:53:37

We had a gate on the kitchen and little latches on the doors too.

Lovelongweekends Tue 14-Feb-17 08:54:16

As an interim, blu tac actually works really well (as long as all surfaces really clean and dry).

chloechloe Tue 14-Feb-17 09:05:05

They can still jam their fingers on many of the locks that go inside the doors.

We have locks on the cupboards with dangerous contents and that we don't want emptying out. But I take the view it's best to teach them the safe way to do things as they won't always be in a child-proof environment.

DD knows to open and close cupboards by the handles and to push doors closed with her palm flat on the middle of the door.

a1990 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:07:10

It's open plan so stair gate won't work. The locks won't fit on my cupboards.

Mehfruittea Tue 14-Feb-17 09:08:49

I used magnetic door locks, nothing visible from the outside so child can't learn how to undo the lock. Kept the magnet key high up on fridge door.

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 14-Feb-17 10:20:56

Try to leave a couple of cupboards without locks so they can access them, then the locked ones become less interesting! We one that was just full of tupperware and other non-breakable and just put locks on the cupboards with anything we didn't want DD getting.

Mrscog Tue 14-Feb-17 17:34:28

I just let them trap their fingers once - they didn't do it again! Show them with you - trap your fingers and say 'ouch' and show them how to open and close properly.

Blackbirdonawire Tue 14-Feb-17 17:39:19

We have magnetic locks from amazon on a load of the cupboard and a few free to be emptied and refilled over and over!

My son just trapped his finger as I was writing the above blush but I do think it's part of learning. He needs to know how things work, and which things hurt (within reason obviously!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now