Talk

Advanced search

Why is she crying all the time?

(14 Posts)
richiarata Mon 13-Feb-17 19:23:39

After two mostly blissful weeks our newborn only wants to cry and eat. We've burped, bathed, changed, cuddled and swaddled her and nothing works.

Help!

ChampagneCharley Mon 13-Feb-17 19:26:59

I wonder if it could be the start of colic? Is it worse at a certain time of day? Or does the tone/volume change as it comes to evening time. I found lavender scented bath stuff helped. My DS had colic and we took him to a cranio osteopath which worked brilliantly. Good luck!

EsmesBees Mon 13-Feb-17 19:27:37

They have a growth spurt around 12 days I think. I remember mine was basically attached to my boob all day. It was like one day long cluster feed. So it could be that?

Shamoffour Mon 13-Feb-17 19:28:59

Is the crying in the evening or around the same time? Could be colic?
I have 4dc and have found they sleep/chill for the first few weeks and then kind of wake up a bit and become more demanding. Sorry that's not very helpful!
Stick with it everything is a phase even the good stuff!!

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 14-Feb-17 07:07:12

How is she feeding? If BF, offer her a boob when she cries. Normally does the trick.

PovertyJetset Tue 14-Feb-17 07:14:04

Is it the witching hour?

I just used to put mine in the sling and walk. Rain or shine, for however long it took.

richiarata Tue 14-Feb-17 07:56:28

Thanks for all your help. She slept fine, we don't think it's colic. I think we just need to learn to put her to bed. Giving her the boob every time she cries seems fine to me but then they're not mine to give. Looking forward to the baby carrier thing arriving! Btw is BF before feeding? She doesn't have a boyfriend yet..

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 14-Feb-17 08:10:35

Sorry, BF is breastfeeding!

She might not be ready to be put down to sleep in a cot/co-sleeper/Moses basket on her own yet- Google the fourth trimester. It may be that your wife/partner needs to continue to feed to sleep overnight, in which case co-sleeping is your friend. Don't worry about how often and how frequently she feeds at the moment, that's what they're supposed to do.

Enjoy the carrier- many hours of sleeping bliss with your hands free to make tea in my experience!

Heirhelp Tue 14-Feb-17 09:36:39

If you are new to bBy wearing/slings then read but on the ticks guidelines.

FizzyFeet Tue 14-Feb-17 22:14:46

Have a look at the Wonder Weeks research. Babies have physical growth spurts and developmental leaps (sometimes at the same time, sometimes not). During a leap it's normal to wonder what the hell happened to your previously angelic baby! It does get better with time, I promise!

Playitagainsam Wed 15-Feb-17 11:53:25

Sorry OP, I have to say that my DS seemed to be a dream baby in his first few weeks, then one day he just seemed to wake up a different baby! I tried everything, thinking it was colic or silent reflux, but now that he'/ nearly 2 I have just accepted that he loves a good screech. I remember my HV at the time saying that it's common for them to 'wake up' and be a lot more alert (and painful on the ears) around a couple of weeks.

arbrighton Wed 15-Feb-17 15:41:29

too young to expect baby to settle themselves to sleep.

Coconut0il Wed 15-Feb-17 17:16:21

DS2 cried every time he was taken off the breast for about the first 3 months of his life! Sit down, relax, cuddle and feed is my advice.

PeachBellini123 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:03:54

Our DS went through the same thing - from sleepy newborn to seemingly crying all the time. He's 5 weeks now and unfortunately has got colic. The sling has been a life saver as he instantly settles down in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now