Talk

Advanced search

Weight

(14 Posts)
InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 11:16:50

Recently my 18 month old has decided on her own she doesn't want bottles at all anymore .. not even her bedtime one!
I think.. going by putting a nappy on which is a bit loose now, there's a possibility of weight loss, does anyone know if this is quite a common thing?

TIA,
Abi x

NickyEds Mon 13-Feb-17 11:26:47

My 19 month old has almost no milk in a day- just a little on her breakfast- but no bottles/cups of milk. I give her lots of other dairy to make up for it. She has never been a massive milk guzzler, even when bf she'd just take what she needed and no more.

InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 11:36:01

She won't even take real milk, I've tried chocolate nesquick etc, but she just gags on her bottles or milk! Was just curious about the weight loss part of it?

abbsisspartacus Mon 13-Feb-17 11:37:10

Try a cup?

InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 12:00:42

Come on, we're all parents here! As if I haven't tried every method? Lol

badg3r Mon 13-Feb-17 12:01:00

Has she got taller too recently? If she's only drinking water now then try giving her more cheese and yoghurt as snacks and mashing lots of butter into her food. DS was looking pretty scrawny for a few months round his second birthday but has filled out again over the last few months. Actually he went through a phase of eating butter like cheese too... totally gross... As long as they are alert and happy and sleeping well my HV told me that plateaus in weight gain are not cause for concern.

Somehowsomewhere Mon 13-Feb-17 12:02:50

My 19 month old doesn't drink any milk. She's also got slimmer around the waist over the past few months, I think it's common as they start growing upwards rather than outwards. Happened to my 3 year old at around 17 months too.
If you're concerned I'd take her to see the HV.
Oh... and people are just trying to help.

InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 12:16:58

Somehowsomewhere - no I know, I'm aware of that, I thought my response came accepts quite light hearted & jokey?

InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 12:17:54

*across

NickyEds Mon 13-Feb-17 12:31:56

Have you had her weighed? I don't think you go by how loose a nappy is. Has she grown taller?

InfinityTimesInfinity Mon 13-Feb-17 12:45:28

Oh no I'm not solely basing it on the nappy, it's just bizarre that at one point I thought "god I need to go up a size in a minute" and now they're a bit loose. Just thought I'd ask if it was a common thing, seems like it could be? Of course I'll weigh her to double check my suspicion, just thought on the off chance it's something someone else would have noticed x

dementedpixie Mon 13-Feb-17 12:47:11

Give her more food to make up for the milk? Maybe she has changed shape by growing taller rather than losing weight

AllTheLight Mon 13-Feb-17 12:49:50

My DS1 drank hardly any milk at that age. As another poster said I gave him lots of other dairy (cheese, yoghurt) for calcium reasons. He didn't drop in weight but he's always been a skinny thing anyway. If she's a healthy weight and eating normally I wouldn't worry.

Heirhelp Mon 13-Feb-17 15:34:10

The current NHS advice is to phase out formula and bottles at 1 years.

Has her weight changed? You really need to get her weighed to find out if it is an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now