Talk

Advanced search

2 kids in a 2 bedroom house??

(20 Posts)
nomers88 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:22:42

hello! we have a 2 year old daughter and are expecting a 2nd ( due in september) we're trying to buy our first house and haven't really seen any decent 3 bedroom houses within our budget in our preferred areas , (even when we look in other areas that are further from friends/family etc theres not much out there.) Today we saw our perfect house which had a really family friendly downstairs but only 2 ( good size) bedrooms. we're thinking of going for it and letting the kids share the one room and then save to have the loft converted in 5 years or so. Does anyone have any experience of having 2 kids in one room? The baby will be with us for the first 6ish months and then hopefully they can share. I have this horrible feeling we're being selfish because we love the house/area ( possibly because my sil told us she thought living in a city with kids was selfish ) but then also I loved sharing a room with my sister as a kid. My logical brain thinks we should wait but house prices in our city keep rising and I think I might be pretty glum if this house gets sold.

Happyiamnot Sun 12-Feb-17 22:10:13

We're finding it impossible to save for a deposit to move to a bigger house (rented). When new baby gets here in March, we're going to have 3 under 3 in a 2 bed! We're going to make it work. They're not being deprived if they have a roof over their heads!

I would say if you like it, go for it! At least you'll have a permanent home for them, with the view to upsize.

Best of luck!

badg3r Sun 12-Feb-17 22:14:22

I'd never actually thought of it before but this what my parents did when were little. Then they had a third baby and a loft conversion, which I shared with my sister till I was 11. I loved it!

monkeyfacegrace Sun 12-Feb-17 22:16:40

I have 3 kids in a 3 bed.

It'll be fine. Yes I'd love a huge house with umpteen rooms and gardens, but right now I'm happy being almost mortgage free and able to actually afford to love instead of stretching myself stupid.

Buy the house.

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 22:16:55

I grew up as one of three in a three bed house, so always shared. I live now in a two bed house with two children in Juniors, and they share. I couldn't afford a bedroom each in a nice area. Their room is huge. They share. They're used to it and know no different. They are the same sex and less than two years apart though which may make a difference. But plenty of kids grow up sharing rooms until they move out.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:13

*live, afford to live! Loving is free grin

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Sun 12-Feb-17 22:18:32

I have 2 dc in a 2 bed. 12 and 10. They share. No harm done.

Growing up most of my friends shared or had siblings that shared. Brothers shared with brothers. Sisters with sisters. Only people I knew who didn't share were children who didn't have any same sex siblings. Like me.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 12-Feb-17 22:19:31

It'll be fine. My boys were happy sharing a room for quite a while, it was only at about 10/11 that the eldest started wanting his own space. I think lots of children actually prefer sharing a room to sleeping by themselves.

MiaowTheCat Sun 12-Feb-17 22:24:19

We've got two in a 2-bed. Not in a position to even consider things like loft conversions because we haven't got the roof height to be able to do it (our roof comes down and cuts the corners off our upstairs rooms).

The kids seem happy enough with it - we're fairly laid back about having toys downstairs as well as in their rooms so they can retreat away from each other if needs be.

Pigeonpost Sun 12-Feb-17 23:28:46

We have a 5 bedroom house but DS1 and DS2 share. They have shared forever (previous house was smaller) and won't be separated. DS3 would be in there too if he could except he's a massive pain and keeps his brothers awake all night so isn't allowed.

chocolatespiders Sun 12-Feb-17 23:33:46

I have 2 children in 2 bed house. 20 year old has her own room. And me and dd 13 share a room. She has a loft bed and I have a 2ft 6 bed under it. .
Would love for us all to have a bedroom each but I have visited families in a lot worse situations so I thank my lucky stars!

Northernlurker Sun 12-Feb-17 23:39:51

I had three in a two bed. That was a bit tight mind you smile
Dd1 and 2 shared till we moved when dd1 was 9 and dd2 was 6. Then they shared for another couple of years even when we had a bedroom each for them.

Evergreen777 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:52:09

I had two in a two bed until DC1 was 8. It was a little tricky getting them both off to sleep when DC2 was a baby/toddler but they never really minded sharing. The biggest problem was the lack of overall space. There was a small kitchen and just one smallish living room. Very short of space for toys which became a growing problem. We eventually moved away from the part of town I knew and loved to somewhere further out where I could afford much more space. The new house was much bigger, 3 bedrooms, loads of downstairs space, etc. But the move meant a difficult journey to school each day, few playdates (because we were far away from everyone else), and when DC1 went to secondary school he didn't know anyone. I ended up moving DC2 mid primary in the end, to a more local school. If I'd had the choice to move out of town sooner it would have been better for the kids I think. Less disruptive. Does depend how big a two bedroom house it is I think, and whether you might settle happily in the cheaper area once you get used to it

nomers88 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:18:31

thanks for all your advice and experiences! going to see the house again this evening, (excited and really nervous about possibly buying our first house!)

uhoh2016 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:32:39

I have 3dc in a 2 bedroom. There's a 8yr gap between ds1 and ds3. Bedroom is purely for sleeping in. We have changed the dining room into another living room with a sofa bed tv and xbox so eldest can have his friends round without disturbing ds3.

smilingsarahb Tue 14-Feb-17 09:38:20

We busted a gut to get a 3 bed house and my two children are currently sharing the smaller room by choice. The youngest just moved in under the cabin bed leaving the bigger room with bunk beds empty. confused Anyway, hopefully when they are teenagers it will be useful but right now it was not worth it.

Themoleandcrew Tue 14-Feb-17 09:38:30

We have a 3 bed but all three kids share one bedroom. The older two shared at first, then number three arrived so the eldest went into his own bedroom and the girls shared. But he missed them so we moved his bed back in recently. Hopefully we're moving to a bigger house soon but who knows if they'll want to carry on sharing or not. I suspect they will.

AuntiePenguin Tue 14-Feb-17 09:40:45

Young children often prefer to share, think it's completely fine till they're about ten then they start wanting their own space more.

We have two boys and are planning for them to share so our third room can be a study/spare room, I think it's fine!

ohanami Tue 14-Feb-17 10:10:39

We added a loft room while I was pregnant with dc 2 because dh was adamant they couldn't share. Dc2 is now 6 months and her 3yo sister is begging to share a room with her...

RedCrab Tue 14-Feb-17 16:37:03

We live in a two bed flat. We have Ds and Dd sharing (four and two) and plan to have DD2 eventually move in with them when she arrives and she's ready to move out of our bedroom. We pretty much plan to have three in one bedroom until DS needs space and privacy when he's around ten /eleven. So for the next six years we'll be saving yo afford a three bed.

I shared with my brother until I was nine and he was eleven. It's very common and not a problem. Maybe it's just a MN thing to talk about each child having their own room? I don't know. We're in London and tied to being here so can't move out. Separate bedrooms is not really a massive priority, to be honest. Dd1 and dd2 will have two years between them so sharing is fine. Good luck with your house buying grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now