Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly painful breastfeeding at 7 months

(8 Posts)
desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sat 11-Feb-17 23:33:23

Advice please - my 7 month old is bf. Never had many problems until today. Suddenly when she's feeding on the right breast it really hurts! Left is fine.

I don't think it's mastitis no redness or fever. Breast feels ok afterwards just almost bruised feeling.

No teeth to feel but could it just be she's teething and changed her latch? Does feel like she's clamping down. If so what can I do?

Hope someone is awake to see this!

PoloZolo Sat 11-Feb-17 23:42:29

Has she changed what position she feeds in, e.g. Sitting on your lap or laying next to you?
I'd take it right back to basics like when you first started feeding her, make sure she latches on with a big mouth etc and if she slips off half way through the feed unlatch her and start again. Any time you see a lazy latch take her off and start again.
Only other thing I can think of is thrush, but I think that's usually on both sides. Hopefully someone more knowlegeable will also be awake to answer!

Writerwannabe83 Sat 11-Feb-17 23:43:28

When my DS was teething the first thing I knew about it was the feeds got painful on one side. It felt like his latch was all off, like he was clamping down on certain parts of my nipple and it was really uncomfortable. It would last for a few days but then DS would start feeding properly again. It happened really frequently when he was teething.

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sat 11-Feb-17 23:45:25

Thanks for answering. She seems to be latching in exactly the same way. Other than the pain feels identical. Will try unlatching her next time and see if it helps. Thought of that this time but shed finished feeding so didn't relatch!

PoloZolo Sat 11-Feb-17 23:53:28

kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/sorenipples-older/

Found his ^^

upforathird Sun 12-Feb-17 00:01:01

Have you had any periods since giving birth? I remember having this with my first at 6 months and then I came on my period so I think it due to tender boobs because I was hormonal

upforathird Sun 12-Feb-17 00:02:19

Ooh there we go, number 2 on the kellymom link!

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sun 12-Feb-17 04:57:54

I did reply at 2ish but doesn't seem to have registered. Cross posted winter that sounds just like my experience!

The kellymom link was really helpful. Not sure if hormonal I have mirena so no periods and only one sided. Teething or skin irritation from that list sound v plausible.

She's just fed on right side again but head at a different angle and hurt a lot less so getting somewhere at least.

Thanks for all your replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now