Talk

Advanced search

shouting out in her sleep

(14 Posts)
quadrophenia Tue 27-Feb-07 21:54:11

my dd aged 6 has done this from a very early age and is very restless in bed. For the last two weeks she has done this every night, it starts around midnight and will go on for a good couple of hours. if i go in and wake her she is adamant that she hasn't had abad dream but will quickly go back into it and start shouting again. As I said its not just shouting but alot of movement and over the last couple of weeks (where it has happened alot) she is very tearful during the day which i can only put down to tiredness. Does anyone else have any experience of this it can be very distressing to hear and I'm not sure if I should take some kind of action or not? TIA

danceswithnewboots Tue 27-Feb-07 21:55:12

Could it be night terrors? You could try googling that, I'm sure it's a common thing. Sorry, can't help more.

quadrophenia Tue 27-Feb-07 22:01:14

thanks new boots, i'm sure it is something like this its the fact they are so frequent that bothers me, my mum looked after the kids a couple of weekends back and she was really shocked

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 22:08:58

Hi quadrophenia. It doesn't sound like night terrors but have you seen a programme about sleep problems (mainly in adults). One episode was last night, can't remember the name of the programme (sorry). Anyway it showed people having restless sleep, kicking, sitting up, talking/shouting etc etc. Some people had a recognized sleep disorder that could easily be treated with medicine. Someone had a type of epilepsy which only occurs at night causing that type of restlessness.

The people were all asleep and couldn't remember anything, but their sleep was poor quality and made them tired in the day.

Perhaps looking at sleep disorders on the net, then a visit to the GP armed with some info on sleep disorders?

quadrophenia Tue 27-Feb-07 22:39:09

thanks twoisplenty that is really helpful, she has just been doing it again

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 22:44:18

I hope I didn't scare you about the epilepsy thought. That's apparently not so common but at least it could be something to read about and possibly eliminate from possible causes.

Forgive me, am I getting mixed up or do you have a youngster with sn?

quadrophenia Tue 27-Feb-07 22:47:00

no not sn, she is doing it now, its always the same, she shouts stop it alot but honestly can't remember a thing, she sounds really agressive though and she is such a placid child its just really wierd. Can't believ there was a programme on and i missed it.

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 22:51:35

I'm trying so hard to remember the name of the programme. It was on last night at 10pm for one hour. Fascinating stuff, but it showed adults having disorders and going to Papworth hospital to diagnose their sleep problems. Some people had sleep problems since childhood, so there is relevance to watching it. It is on again next week, so look out for it...when I remember the name of it, I will let you know.

It's a real worry when a youngster doesn't sleep well, or quietly. Hope you find a solution soon.

Sorry about the sn, I thought I recognised the nickname, but there are apparently 75,000 users on MN!!!

quadrophenia Tue 27-Feb-07 22:53:59

I get confused on here all the time!! I will definately look into this more tomorrow when I'm less tired, I just ahte hearing her distressed, yet when i wake her she isn't its just so odd. I don't want to take it to the gp if its just a common kid thing but at the same time don't want to leave it if she's tired. really appreciate your responses

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 23:02:52

I wouldn't worry about bothering the GP, you both need good quality sleep, it's vital. That's what the GPs there for.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't think her sleep pattern is normal, some children shout a bit in their sleep (my dd does about 6am but is asleep, she's 2.5yo) but if it's every night for hours then thats detrimental.

Beware of GPs though, they tend to brush childhood sleeping/eating/general development things aside and say things like "she'll grow out of it" or whatever. so if it was me I would research it and present the findings to the GP to make sure the GP knows you are serious about needing action.

I'd love to know what you find. Good luck.

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 23:04:47

If I sound a bit bossy about the GP, my child had sn and I deal with doctors quite a lot and you have to sometimes fight to get the response you need. They don't take it personally and you get a result!

twoisplenty Tue 27-Feb-07 23:05:29

Sorry my ds has sn (it's late!)

Troutpout Tue 27-Feb-07 23:14:40

I did this a lot as a child and have had a few odd periods of it as an adult too
dd goes through patches of it...and also walks in her sleep occasionally too. i think she'll get worse yet
It's usually coincided with a change in routine or a stressful time for me as an adult (job/losing a parent etc). Haven't narrowed it down to anything specific for dd.
The aggressive thing makes sense to me. Dh sometimes says i ask him questions aggresively or shout out non-sensical things to him and i want an answer too(poor bloke!). By the time he is fully awake to answer, i have gone back to sleep.

WotzBestMateTwinWotz Tue 27-Feb-07 23:48:43

Use search messages and if you search for 'night terror' in the 'search only thread titles' ie: type the words ;night terror' in the message search box, you will see there are a few post on mn.

some thought already been shared here which might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now