Talk

Advanced search

Knowing how much to feed your baby? ?

(7 Posts)
Flossy30 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:20:07

Hello
First time posting here.. also first time mum so best with me. 😊
My son is 5months and had been on 7oz times a day.. recently introduced foods like carrots sweet potato an peas to his diet ( not all together obvs)
My question is.. when I'm giving him those foods how much of a bottle do I give him? At the minute he's getting a 7oz bottle at 8am, sweet potato at lunch (12.30) and a 6oz.. 430 he gets more food plus 6oz ad 8pm he gets 7oz .. is that too much or not enough?
Any tips and info is appreciated
😋😋

ProudBadMum Thu 09-Feb-17 12:20:57

Is he willingly drinking it? If so leave him be

NapQueen Thu 09-Feb-17 12:22:34

Milk is the main source of food at this age so any good should just be for taste/introduction.

I'd stick with the 7oz feeds at the times you usually give them (mine at that age were 7am, 10.30am, 2.30pm and 7pm roughly). Then introduce the foods once or twice a day whenever he seems to have his main awake time. Milk to feed him. Food for fun.

mininionsteve Thu 09-Feb-17 12:23:43

I'd stick to his usual bottles amounts as he'd only 5 months and that's where all his nutrition is coming from. Then the little tastes on top.

rainingkitsandpups Thu 09-Feb-17 12:29:02

You should be feeding the bottles on demand. So be guided by him. Until the age of 1 most of their nutrients are from the milk. He won't start naturally dropping feeds for months yet I wouldn't expect.

Flossy30 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:44:39

Ok thanks for the advice folks.. I'll keep him on 7oz every feed and like you all say just bits of solid food jus to get him used to it

Caterina99 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:39:11

I'd keep them the same until he starts consistently drinking less. Think we started solids at 6 months but he didnt eat much to start and then rapidly discovered a love of food! Think we moved to 4 bottles a day around 7 months, 3 bottles around 9 months. Then introduced cows milk in a cup from about 11 months and phased out the bottles between then and 15 months. They are all different, but the advice is that they should be getting majority of their calories from milk until about age 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now