Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding formula

(7 Posts)
user1462909068 Tue 07-Feb-17 23:49:01

So how does everyone do there now get feeds?
My baby's 4 weeks and wakes twice in the night.
I make up two bottles with boiled water, add formula then place In a bottle warmer bag and take them upstairs with me, is this ok?

MyMrKnightley Wed 08-Feb-17 06:47:27

Not ideal - but then again I have a perfect prep and some people would say the same about my way.

First bottle is probably fine as I assume baby wakes within a couple of hours, second bottle is worrying.

Safer way is to invest in a bottle warmer and mini fridge (or cold bag/ice blocks) and then make your feeds up like you do now then cool in the fridge until really cold (1 hour) then transfer to mini fridge upstairs (or cool box). Then when feed required heat in bottle warmer (could use flask of hot water/ jug, but this requires more faffing in the night)

Lots of people have different ways of doing it - the official guidelines make me mad because they are so unworkable unless your baby is in a perfect routine, you never leave the house and don't mind being up for hours in the night. This leads to people having to make the own minds up what they deam safe.

Hope that helps, it was only a couple of months ago that I asked a similar question.

MyMrKnightley Wed 08-Feb-17 06:49:17

Or you could look into a perfect prep machine and decide whether you deam them safe. You probably couldn't keep it in the bedroom unless your partner sleeps deaply as I has a really annoying beep!

Trifleorbust Wed 08-Feb-17 07:18:37

I would probably use a flask of boiled water (a good flask so it stayed as close to 70 degrees as possible) and sterilised bottles. I would then cool the bottle in a pan of cold water. I know it is against the guidelines but I think in this case I believe 'perfect is the enemy of good'. You need your sleep to parent safely. The risk is minimal of everything is clean and the water is hot at the point of making up the feed.

snoopyokay Wed 08-Feb-17 08:19:16

I used to have the Perfect Prep machine in my bedroom, never had any problems with it and took it back downstairs once night feeds were over.

clarabellski Wed 08-Feb-17 12:05:01

I made mine up in batches, cooled and stored in fridge and warmed up in jug with hot water from a flask (to save me waiting for kettle to boil in middle of the night). It was also a revelation around 4 months that DS would drink bottles cold from the fridge just as happily as he'd drink them warmed up.

This is not NHS advice. They only advise making up in advance where absolutely necessary. But I did it as matter of routine.

Only heard about perfect prep machines when DS was already about 8 weeks old so figured there was no point wasting the money when I had my old way of working.

PeachBellini123 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:18:50

I do the same as Clara

MyMr's advice is excellent. I wouldn't trust myself to make up a fresh bottle safely as 3am - too much can go wrong when half awake. A friend of mine nearly gave her baby scalding milk as she was half-asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now