We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reusable nappies too much choice

(14 Posts)
Bloopbleep Tue 07-Feb-17 15:57:14

I think I've decided upon all in ones or pockets (although I'm going for bamboo terries and wrap from birth) but I'm still confused by the amount of choice. I used bumgenius with dd but that was 8y ago and they've since gone to new homes. I don't know if BG are still good nappies or if another brand has taken over.

I've tried the nappylady advice service but it still offered a lot of choice and my head is about to explode. I'd love to hear from people who've used cloth nappies particularly aio or pockets and what brands worked for them. I don't fancy buying lots of different types and hoped to just invest in a multipack.

Also how many did you need in the first few months?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 07-Feb-17 20:33:09

Can't really help with choice but just wondered if there is a nappy library near by? Might help smile

Artandco Tue 07-Feb-17 20:36:09

I would suggest the tots bots range to look at. The easyfit star for daytime, and the bamboozle with wrap for nighttime

Bloopbleep Tue 07-Feb-17 20:37:52

jilted there isn't one nearby as that would be ideal.

art off to Google totsbots thanks!

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 07-Feb-17 20:40:54

Bambino Mio are good all in one nappies and are stocked in Asda and Sainsbury's. On offer in Sainsbury's at the moment. Also had some in the last Aldi baby event if there are any left in your local store (there was in mine today).
Totsbots are also good. I didn't get on with bum genius but seem to be some people that worship them. Some of the prints go for stupid money.

OdinsLoveChild Tue 07-Feb-17 20:42:50

I used Ellas house bumhuggers for all my children. They fab. I think they still exist confused my youngest is at primary school now.

OdinsLoveChild Tue 07-Feb-17 20:44:28

Forgot to say, I bought 21. 7 heavy duty for night and 14 for day.

DrCoconut Tue 07-Feb-17 20:45:45

Bum genius and mio solo here. Popins were a nightmare.

Closetlibrarian Tue 07-Feb-17 20:46:24

I think so much depends on the size and shape of your baby.

My local council has a set of trial reusables it loans out, so I borrowed that. You might check if yours has a similar service? Otherwise, there are several very good selling groups on Facebook where you can buy pre-loved ones much cheaper than new. (Pre-loved is also good because it means you don't have to faff around pre-washing them to get them to full absorbency).

For nighttime, you need something like the totsbots bamboozle with a separate wrap.

For daytime Pockets we liked bumgenius. AIOs, we got on ok with Bambino Mio and Totsbots.

However, we gave up in the end as I found they chaffed on DC's bits and he ended up with bad nappy rash/ red patches. Also, DH wasn't on board with it and so it meant I ended up doing all nappy changes, etc. So it wasn't practical in the long term

MyMrKnightley Wed 08-Feb-17 06:57:34

How about trying a few types second hand from eBay/gumtree to see what works.

I hear that the totsbots star are much improved from the previous versions (use to wick through the stitching) the one I had certainly did, so maybe try this one from new so you get the latest version.

I recommend the little lamb bamboo 2 part nappy (especially for nighttime) - bombproof! Also the motherease popper wrap for night.

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 08-Feb-17 08:50:46

I've got two in totsbots bamboozles here (DD 22 months & DS 5 weeks). Always realisable, never have any leaks!

I've got a handful of Bumgenius AIO that I used to send DD to nursery in but she just wets through them now in no time. And they're quite short on her.

Not tried pockets other than eBay cheapies so no advice there sorry. I would just say that IME, I'd rather totsbot + wraps than stuffing nappies all the time. They only take 10 seconds more to change.

Bloopbleep Wed 08-Feb-17 20:32:09

I was thinking of bamboozles for night time but wanted the laziness of only one for the day

MyMrKnightley Wed 08-Feb-17 21:55:35

Not necessarily easier if you're having to change them very often to stop baby peeing through them

Artandco Thu 09-Feb-17 06:49:52

The bamboozle is very good, but I wouldn't want as only daytime nappy as takes ages to dry in comparison and seems a waste if your changing nappy daytime every few hours anyway. They are great for 12 hrs overnight absorbency. But like I said the easyfit star is also good and lasts well daytime and an all in one.

Personally a pocket nappy would annoy me with all the stuffing in. An all in one or nappy plus wrap seems far easier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now