Talk

Advanced search

EBF. How many tsp coffee equals one cup?

(7 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 07-Feb-17 12:15:01

My days are presently fueled by coffee (and being whined at!) but I am concerned that I am consuming too much caffeine..

I have 2-3 cups of instant coffee a day. A tsp per cup so 2-3 tsps in total. Is that too much?

Guidelines say no more than 2 cups when breastfeeding but that must depend on how strong you have it right?

I think my milky cups with only a tsp is weak but can anyone shed any light?

I certainly don't feel buzzing!

Thank you

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 07-Feb-17 12:18:46

2 to 3 espressos might be a bit much but instant coffee is so weak in comparison I really wouldn't worry.
If you want to look into the reasoning behind the guidelines in some more depth, I recommend the book 'Expecting Better'

Letsgetreadytorumbleagain Tue 07-Feb-17 12:21:09

Some sites say up to 500mg caffeine - which equals around 5 cups of instant coffee so I wouldn't worry flowers

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 07-Feb-17 12:30:49

Thanks both. This has reassured me and thanks letsgetready for link smilebrew

Highlove Tue 07-Feb-17 12:53:06

Oh. I didn't realise it should be restricted. I have about 800 cups of tea a day. How the hell are you supposed to survive with a baby and a two-year-old if you aren't mainlining caffeine?!

ODog Tue 07-Feb-17 13:13:34

I didn't even know this was a thing. I drink loads of tea and coffee.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 07-Feb-17 13:21:00

Agree highlove. I have the same aged children and I'm not sure caffeine even helps!

I'm unwell today so may have to double the intake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now