Talk

Advanced search

Heating forumla in a microwave

(48 Posts)
Blueskyrain Tue 07-Feb-17 11:03:13

Hey

I'm currently pregnant and planning on formula feeding from birth. I did a trial run of my milk warmer yesterday, and found it disappointing how long it took, so I'm after an alternative. I know some babies will take it cold, but I think that warm milk must be so much nicer, and more comforting.

I'm wanting to heat it in the microwave, but I'm getting frustrated at the advice not to do this. From what I can see, it stems from 2 things (1) potential hot spots in the milk (2) concerns that the microwave will destroy nutrients in the milk.

As far as hot spots are concerned, surely shaking the milk thoroughly will solve that. I'm guessing, that like with the guidance on drinking in pregnancy (easier to say don't drink any, in case people don't understand and binge), they are worried that some people won't shake. If it is shaked thoroughly every time and tested before use, then I really, really can't see the risk with this.

The second one, about nutrients, keeps getting mentioned, but there is no evidence behind it. I've read abstracts of some studies on it, and they all show that it doesn't actually destroy nutrients.

Heating in a microwave seems by far the quickest way to heat milk, so as long as its properly shaked, whats the issue with this? Do people do it, but just pretend they don't?

Ammelou Tue 07-Feb-17 11:09:53

Get a perfect prep machine. Life saver.

MiniMaxi Tue 07-Feb-17 11:27:03

Totally agree re the perfect prep machine!

Ideal temp milk in 2 mins grin

ButtMuncher Tue 07-Feb-17 11:30:17

I heat in microwave. I spent 4 months waiting for the bottle warmer and once I had no choice but to use one I realised how much easier it was. My son likes his milk as warm as possible so it's so much quicker. I just ensure I shake and swirl, plus I only use it for seconds rather than minutes - so I'll blast it for 20 to start with and drop the time as it gets warmer. I always check my bottles multiple times before feeding my a

Chocolateorangegoblin Tue 07-Feb-17 11:30:23

I only microwave for 20/30 seconds for a 6oz bottle so it is only just room temp. I don't think it is enough time for there to be hot spots.

ButtMuncher Tue 07-Feb-17 11:30:32

...son. grin

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 11:34:20

If you're planning to ff get a perfect prep, it will be the best money you spend on baby stuff! Usually on offer for £60 somewhere or can pick up on eBay for about £30. To be honest it's usually cooling feeds down that's a problem, not hearing them up! If you make up fresh each time it takes forever to cool under a tap. In the early days when we were using ready made formula a jug of boiling water warmed the bottle up in less than a minute. Now he's on cows milk it's microwave all the way.

Definitely try to get baby used to room temp milk some of the time though. It makes going out much easier. Ready made formula tipped into bottle. Good to go!

Blueskyrain Tue 07-Feb-17 11:41:28

I'd rather avoid the perfect prep because I'm going to be making up the feeds and storing them in the fridge. I've got a spare fridge which has is going next to the bed for night feeds.

I don't want the faff of putting powder in bottles etc in the middle of the night unless I have to

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 11:43:56

How are you going to warm the bottles at night? Surely you'll have to go down to the microwave? Honestly the PP is dead easy. We used to take it up to bed with us and leave it on the dressing table with pots of formula already measured out. Baby woke, PP on, tipped formula into bottle, nappy change done on bed in time it takes for PP to finish. Grab bottle, back to bed with baby.

Blueskyrain Tue 07-Feb-17 12:02:30

A second microwave is a lot cheaper than a prefect prep machine, so it'll sit on top of the fridge. Can get one for £35 quid new, half the price of the perfect prep, and probably a lot less second hand.

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 12:33:01

Fair enough, but then you have to add the hassle of making up all the feeds in the morning or whenever.

In answer to your original question, using a microwave is fine, just make sure you shake it plenty and always test the temperature before use. Bearing in mind you'll already have nuked the formula powder with boiling water, warming it up again to room temp isn't going to cause any more damage to nutrients!

NennyNooNoo Tue 07-Feb-17 12:56:02

I BF'd but when I warmed up expressed milk I always did it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds ( obviously depends on how much milk is in the bottle but too cool is better than too hot). Then swirled it well before giving it to the baby.

toffeeboffin Tue 07-Feb-17 13:03:02

I give 4oz formula twenty seconds in the microwave. Shake before serving.

Not sure about those pp machines, weren't they on watchdog?

Heirhelp Tue 07-Feb-17 14:21:27

I was planning on bf but it did not work out. We tried making up the bottles and storing them in the fridge and it was a huge faff. About a week later we got a pp machine and it much easier and quicker than warming bottles.

I premessure the powdered milk before I got bed.

kel1234 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:25:21

I've never done it in a microwave. Also I don't like the thought of a machine making bottles, or a bottle warmer.
We make bottles in advance and simply warm them in a jug of boiling water. All you need is a plastic jug. So easy

toptoe Tue 07-Feb-17 14:29:46

I didn't warm it, but put formula powder in room temp sterilised water. Against current advice as formula is sterile until can opened. But it was deemed ok back when dd born. I used cartons at night at room temp. They'll invent sterile sachets soon hopefully. Now use the micro to warm cow's milk as dc is older, with a good shake.

picklemepopcorn Tue 07-Feb-17 14:30:23

Just be aware that shaking it well every time sounds easy to a reasonably well rested, relaxed person. Someone who hasn't had a full nights sleep in two months and whose baby is screaming in her ear may make more mistakes...

toptoe Tue 07-Feb-17 14:30:32

Have to add, micro with teet off and screw it on when done. 20-30 sec max

Heirhelp Tue 07-Feb-17 14:36:20

Powdered milk is not sterile which is why is has to be added to how water.

Blueskyrain Tue 07-Feb-17 14:39:41

picklemepopcorn, making sure the routine is followed when sleep deprived is an issue I agree, though I'd say no more than making them up fresh, or using a machine. Mistakes can happen in a large number of ways, and yet we let sleep deprived people work, drive etc.

I'm hoping though to keep the sleep dep to lower than average at least, as my husband and I will be doing shifts (we'll be both off work for most of the first 6 months), and we've got a parental bolt hole 10 mins away if we need the escape. We are very much going to be sharing the deprivation at least.

Blueskyrain Tue 07-Feb-17 14:42:04

Heirhelp interestingly, not if you live in the US, or France, or one of the many countries which have very different guidance to ours (and perfectly healthy babies!)

There seems to be a huge amount of different guidance. Surely just using some common sense (whatever that may be) is the best option.

PenelopeParmesan Tue 07-Feb-17 14:55:12

Surely common sense would mean following the evidence based guidance to minimise the risk of illness.

Ie make each bottle as needed.

Or if that's not possible, make with very hot water, cool quickly and store at the back of the fridge and warm in a jug of hot water when needed.

It's not rocket science.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/making-up-infant-formula.aspx

Heirhelp Tue 07-Feb-17 15:22:06

The WHO says formula should be made with hot water.

InTheKitchenAtParties Tue 07-Feb-17 15:28:51

I'm hoping to keep the sleep dep to lower than average
You can hope smile

qazxc Tue 07-Feb-17 15:38:10

I used to make up a batch of bottles everyday, cool them and store in fridge.
Then when needed microwave for 20 - 30 seconds. Just make sure you shake well to avoid the hot spots and test temp before giving to baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now