Talk

Advanced search

How old when the dummy went away?

(31 Posts)
TelephoneTree Mon 06-Feb-17 10:34:21

And how did you manage to get rid of it in the end??

LastnightaDJ Mon 06-Feb-17 10:35:48

4. He didn't want it anymore.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Mon 06-Feb-17 10:36:35

We waited until he was ready and he was about 3.5

I was never fussed about him having a dummy. It lived in his bed and he spat it straight out when he fell asleep.

HalfShellHero Mon 06-Feb-17 10:43:54

Both of my children were dummy fiends ...we did the dummy fairy comes on the night before 3rd birthday and leaves a present for both of them and the excitement of the birthday distracts well the first few nights. DH photos hopped a fairy over a picture of then sleeping for good measure grin

Oly5 Mon 06-Feb-17 10:47:21

Just after Second birthday.

We wrapped ribbons round it and tied it to a tree and then next morning the dummy fairy had left a bag of cash in the same spot!
Cue trip to toy shop and much excitement.
Baby missed dummy for about a week but understood new babies needed it

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Feb-17 10:50:17

Second birthday was October for one and November for the other so that Christmas (for each) we put the dummies on the plate of mince pies for Santa so Santa could take them away for the little babies.

Neither ever asked for one again.

memyselfandaye Mon 06-Feb-17 10:52:18

Almost 4, I told him I was'nt buying any more so when he bit the last one and caused a tear he would have to put up with it.

One day he was at nursery I took the scissors to it and lopped the top off, when he came home and stuck it in his mouth I told him it had fallen apart while he was out cos he had bitten it, he just made a hmpf sound and gave me confused that face and accepted it.

EggsEleven Mon 06-Feb-17 10:53:39

DD has just turned 7 months and I'm thinking of getting rid as it's driving me bonkers at night. She can only sleep with it in and it seems to disturb her when it falls out so I'm constantly having to put the damn thing back in at night. Have no idea how to do it with a baby other than cold turkey withdrawal. Now sure if this is a bit cruel though or if she'll quickly adapt.

Famalam13 Mon 06-Feb-17 12:40:36

11 months. We went cold turkey after the night he woke 6 times for it (there were several in his cot but he prefered us to give him one). He has slept through every night since.

CobsAhoy Mon 06-Feb-17 13:06:03

8months, DD just started refusing it, which was a right PITA because then she just wanted a boob instead.

Bubblysqueak Mon 06-Feb-17 13:09:03

Almost 3. Ds bit the tip so it split. I told him it was broken and couldn't be fixed so he put it in the bin. He did this with the rest of them that were hidden around the house that day (once he realised how he did it he wanted to see if he could do it again hmm) each time I told him he had to put them in the bin. That was it, no more dummy. When he asked in he shop to buy another I explained that his big strong teeth would just break the new one.

EggsEleven Mon 06-Feb-17 14:32:21

Famalam I know all babies are different but how long did you have to do cold turkey for before he forgot about it and started sleeping through?

Cellardoor23 Mon 06-Feb-17 14:55:46

My DS is just over 8 months and is starting to lose interest in it now. To be honest he only ever wanted it when he was sleeping.

I'll probably keep it for a few months longer just in case.

IrnBrufan Mon 06-Feb-17 15:06:09

18 months, she only had it at bed/nap times and we got rid of it by mistakes (forgot to put it in her childminders bag and discovered she napped fine without it so never gave her it back)
If it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have even tried until she was old enough to understand when we explained it to her

Umblubblub Mon 06-Feb-17 15:11:40

3.5 We went on holiday abroad and I forgot to pack them confused. Thought it would ruin the holiday, but he asked for them for the first couple of nights, had a few brief tears and never mentioned them again.
The 'Dummy Fairy' AKA Amazon, was kind enough to send him a present for giving them up which he got when we arrived home.

kel1234 Mon 06-Feb-17 15:14:41

My lo never had one as I hate them tbh.

LurkingQuietly Mon 06-Feb-17 15:16:45

DS just gave his up randomly at about 8 weeks. Wouldn't take it. DD is 16 months and still loves her dummy. God knows when we'll be able to prise it out of her mouth.

LurkingQuietly Mon 06-Feb-17 15:17:15

Well done kel1234 medals in the post hmm

BettyOBarley Mon 06-Feb-17 15:17:44

DD still has hers, she was 3 in November. Strictly bedtime only and it's usually fallen out after 10 mins. I'm keen for it to go but I'm not forcing the issue, we have a 4 month old DS so all I'm bothered about at the moment is that everyone sleeps! smile

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 06-Feb-17 15:24:00

4 years old. We started with cutting down to night time only and dc got less reliant as she got older. I used to pop in to the bedroom and remove the dummy from her mouth when she was asleep.

Dabisadancemove Mon 06-Feb-17 15:25:48

Both DD's had them taken away for good at 2.5 but they had only been used at nighttime or nap time since before they turned 1. One went to Santa, the other to the Easter Bunny. Chocolate was the bribe on both occasions grin

JacquelineChan Mon 06-Feb-17 15:29:11

DS was about 2 and a half. he only had it at bed time and never asked for it any other time. We had a couple of weeks talking about how dummies are for babies then he had an overnight with grandma where we 'forgot' to pack his dummy. ( grandma had a spare !) anyway she said he slept as well as ever and never asked for it.
the next night at home we said we gave your dummy to a little baby is that ok and he said yes.
and that was that ! much easier than we expected.
but as for potty training.......

Apfelbunny Mon 06-Feb-17 15:32:19

I'm dreadinv that bit of dummies!! Dc1 never wanted one, dc2 has one now and then so when they're suddenly all the awake at 2am the toddler doesn't think it's breakfast time! I don't think dc2 is that attached as such, it's more of a play thing than anything else (never seen anyone have more fun with a dummy!)

memyselfandaye Mon 06-Feb-17 17:04:17

Wow kel1124 What a fantastic helpful post.

northdownmummy Mon 06-Feb-17 17:11:56

My DD was 4, we've had a few false starts but let her set the pace.
In the end it was peer pressure, she had a friend coming for a sleepover who'd previously sounded very surprised that she had a dummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now