Talk

Advanced search

Is my baby eating enough?

(9 Posts)
cherrycokehead Sun 05-Feb-17 18:35:42

I started baby led weaning when DD was six months old, she is now seven months. I'm finding that the only meal at which she really eats much is breakfast where she normally has porridge with something stirred in e.g. peanut butter. She eats this very happily with the spoon (obviously with me loading the spoon for her) - at lunchtime she will normally have some kind of sandwich strips, vegetable sticks, cheese, fruit etc. I find it she does have a good suck of most of these but very little food actually goes in. Evening meal is the same, similar types of food or whatever I'm eating and again she tries it all but she doesn't really eat anything. Is she actually getting enough food? Obviously she is having her milk in between times and although I haven't had her weighed recently she certainly doesn't look or feel as though she's lost weight. Should I give her porridge more frequently? Maybe some in the evening as well as at breakfast? TIA

gallicgirl Sun 05-Feb-17 18:40:09

As long as she's still having milk then it's fine. Weaning is about exploring taste and textures and learning to bite and chew. Baby led is exactly that - follow your baby's lead. If she isn't eating, she doesn't want it.

If she's happy and having regular dirty nappies then there's really nothing to worry about.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 05-Feb-17 18:41:33

Sounds fine to me smile she's still so little! She's still exploring the tastes and textures, but will start actually eating it as time goes on! I think my DD was around 8 months before she actually started chewing and swallowing most of the food I gave her

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Sun 05-Feb-17 18:43:19

I agree with Gallic. Have you read the 'Baby-led Weaning' book by
Gill Raey & Tracey Murkett? That explains everything,

Stiddleficks Sun 05-Feb-17 18:45:08

Food before one is just for fun has always stuck in my mind. As long as she's having her milk there's no need to worry yet, my youngest wasn't bothered about eating in general until about ten months and wouldn't have anything more than a puree then til after her first birthday. She's always been in the 75th centile so didn't do her any harm.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Sun 05-Feb-17 18:47:25

Gill Rapley! Stupid phone!

cherrycokehead Sun 05-Feb-17 18:54:12

Thank you, that's very reassuring!

cherrycokehead Sun 05-Feb-17 18:54:52

Monkey I'll see if I can get a copy of that book, thanks

Whatsername17 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:13:19

At that age my dd loved natural yoghurt and homemade soup and dippy bread. Perhaps you could add in some thing like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now