Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations pls - which bottle to use to give expressed milk to ebf baby?

(7 Posts)
Whatsername17 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:58:03

After speaking to our HV we have decided to introduce a bottle of expressed milk in a couple of weeks time I'm preparation for when I have to go back to work. I've got a few months yet but I'm keen to be proactive as a number of my friends have struggled to wean their little ones onto a bottle as they get older. She is currently only 2 weeks and bf is going really well and I fully intend to continue as long as possible. The hv recommended introducing the bottle of expressed milk between 4 and 6 weeks - she warned that if we left it later than 6 weeks she might refuse the bottle completely. Can anyone recommend a brand that works well? I've seen a brand called Mimijumi (or something similar) which claims to be the most boob like bottle but at £32 for 2 bottles I need tonbe sure as I don't want to waste my money. Also could do with recommendations for a breast pump - I've got about £100 to spend on a pump but again, I don't want to waste my money on one that isn't very good.

EsmesBees Sun 05-Feb-17 16:01:14

I had the madela swing pump and bottles. They claim that because it's harder for the baby to get the milk out, they are more suitable for mix fed babies. It was a good pump. No idea on the cost as was given it 2nd hand.

IamChipmunk Sun 05-Feb-17 20:14:31

The only bottle my ebf ds would have was a nuk glass bottle and latex teat. We tried loads.

It's worth bearing in mind that even if you get them taking a bottle they might stop! We gave ds bottles of expressed at around 6 weeks (just with an avent bottle) then one day he just wouldn't have it.

He held out until he went to nursery full time at 7 months. Took him 3 days and he decided he would have the nuk. Would only ever have it at nursery though!

I had a Phillips avent electric pump which was fine.

Heirhelp Sun 05-Feb-17 21:31:17

My midwife suggested the cheap traditional shaped bottles. I have heard MAM and NUK are often liked. I have not heard of any babies liking the Mandela ones.

Gillian1980 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:43:49

We tried loads of types and my dd would only take the Lansinoh bottles.

Snoodleberry Mon 06-Feb-17 17:34:01

I was ebf until six weeks, then introduced one bottle of expressed breast milk every other day.

My DD was very happy on the medela bottle/tear that came with the medela swing breast pump.

I struggled hugely with a Phillips avent electric pump, but was fine with the Medela electric swing pump.

She seems to have to suck quite hard to get the milk out of the medela bottle - when we tried an avent bottle (even with a slow flow test!) she seemed to almost drown herself with milk!

MeredithShepherd Mon 06-Feb-17 19:18:00

I second the mam bottles. I work in a baby room in a nursery and 90% of the breast fed babies bring expressed milk in mam bottles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now