Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

What can I do with my time?

(11 Posts)
Loll34 Mon 26-Feb-07 22:08:09

I'm staying at home with my dd until she's 18 months old - she's 11 months now.
I feel very lucky to be spending this time with her and we have great fun but...sometimes I get so BORED! We meet up with other mums a couple of times a week and go to a few toddler activities but there's still a lot of time to fill and, having had a stressful but enjoyable job, I'm struggling with the lack of focus.
Any suggestions on games I can play with her, stuff we can do, words of advice, would be REALLY gratefully received. I'm a bit stuck for support, as family lives miles away and my friends are all working part/full time.

Kif Mon 26-Feb-07 23:04:37

have another baby?

Kif Mon 26-Feb-07 23:07:52

Sorry, that's flippant.

Where are you geographically?

Farmers markets? Get lots of samples to smell feel and taste, then cook something nice. They get fussier and more prone to running away older

NewDKmum Tue 27-Feb-07 08:25:14

Hiya,

I was a bit stuck too and couldn't think of a lot of new things to play with my 11mo dd. Went to the library last week and took out 'Games to play with babies' and 'Games to play with toddlers', both by Jackie Silberg. Lots of great ideas in there!

Harra Tue 27-Feb-07 08:59:56

Hi,
My ds is 13 months and I go back to work in June. I go to the gym where they have a creche - so I get 1 hour or so he has time with others then I take him swimming. I definately get more motivated the more exercise I do the more get up and I go I have. Do know what you mean though - if I spend my whole day at home with ds it is very exhausting. Good luck.

Wooh Tue 27-Feb-07 21:42:32

SORRY TO HIJACK THIS THRAD

newDKmum, can you please go to this thread asap.

Thanks

WinnieThePooh Wed 28-Feb-07 05:38:33

BUMPING AGAIN FOR NEWDKMUM

KaySamuels Wed 28-Feb-07 10:50:27

Hi you don't mention what you do re activities but I have recently forced myself to be out and about (tend to hibernate at winter lol!) we go to jumping jacks, swimming, story time at the library, a long walk around the park which includes play area, nature walkway, animals then cafe!

Oh and meet up with people who I find make me feel upbeat, talk about things other than their dcs (as well as). When I get really bored I jump on a train for the day with ds, he loves the train, change of scenery etc.

Basically do things you will get something out of too ie excercise, books, stimulating adult conversation, etc.

I find toddler group so boring and dreary - I now go to one very small one with los of space and a few mums who watch their kids and thats it!

KaySamuels Wed 28-Feb-07 11:02:01

Just saw that you most of your friends are working, I have met nice mums at the things I go to, I now go to activities where parents are involved and participate, the mums I've met here are much more interesting and seem to have more to say about themselves. I'm quite shy in rl so if I can meet new interesting people anyone can.

My new years resloution was to smile at everyone I meet, if I know their face say hello. It has meant conversations have started with all sorts of people I wouldn't usually talk to. A little adult interaction does the world of good.

anyway I have rambled hth

Loll34 Wed 28-Feb-07 21:13:24

Thanks everyone, am feeling much more chipper. Will check out the books and like the idea of outings on the train :-)
I think the aim is an activity a day and then the time alone together is quality time.

stormtrooper Thu 01-Mar-07 12:43:00

I agree can be boring at that age - so sweet but not much conversation! definitely see people as much as poss.
Also:
sandpit (if there is one at any park near you) as the weather gets better - so long as you dont mind her eating sand it can occupy her for hours
ditto if you dont mind her getting wet, water play at home with lots of little jars and buckets (in garden if you have one)....saucepans always enjoyable.
depending where you are any soft play area
duckfeeding if you have pond nearby
swimming always a big hit
then cbeebies while you read mags/talk on phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now