Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk help please!!

(9 Posts)
Livvysma23 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:27:44

My 13 month daughter has had food with cows milk in for several months now, particularly porridge and mac cheese. She hasn't had any adverse reaction to it but I have recently started giving her a mix of cows milk with formula as her bedtime drink with the hope to ween her away from formula. It seems to have gone well but the last 3 nights, within 30min- hour of her having this, she's had diahrroea. I'm a bit worried she's developing an intolerance, what do you think?
We are seeing HV on Tuesday so will ask for advice then and in meantime I was thinking I would just give formula at bedtime (she is BF in morning and tea time). But any advice would be great smile

Heirhelp Fri 03-Feb-17 20:34:45

My DD (formula feed) has secondary lactose intolerance that means it is caused by something in this case illness and it will eventually be fine. If she had just been introduced to milk then I would say it sounds like lactose intolerance but there is lactose in breast milk and formula. Has she been ill or anything? How long has she been taken formula?

iwannapuppy Fri 03-Feb-17 20:35:29

I thought most shop bought formula was made from cows milk anyway. I say this because my 3 and a half month old has a cows milk intolerance and he is on prescription formula for it. If you think it's a cows milk problem I would try and express and give her that instead of anyour formula or regular milk. Good luck.

Livvysma23 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:49:51

She's had formula top ups from birth but has recently (a month ago) moved to the next stage up. And she's been having the mix of milk for nearly a month.
She did have her vaccines last week? And a bit of a temp a couple of times this week but I put that down to teething.
She has porridge most mornings with the same cows milk and doesn't seem to have this reaction, if anything she is more prone to constipation. X

Heirhelp Fri 03-Feb-17 20:59:18

Did is start when you moved her onto the next stage milk? There is no need to change her formula. There are only different stages because they can't advertise first milk.

Livvysma23 Sun 05-Feb-17 07:48:59

No, she's about half way down the tin now and has only been having 2 scoops a night. I gave her formula only at bedtime last night and had no problems. She doesn't seem to be having tummy pains or anything. She does have a very sore bottom now though which she's never suffered from before. I'm so confused!

Heirhelp Sun 05-Feb-17 09:31:09

The sore bottom will be due to the diahorrea. I would see the GP.

Caterina99 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:10:07

To be honest I'd stick to the formula for a bit longer til it all clears up and then try again in a few weeks. Might just be too much at once, or a reaction from the jabs, or anything really.

HeCantBeSerious Sun 05-Feb-17 20:11:58

I thought cows milk was better nutritionally than. 1+ formula.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now