Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Opinions from other mums please:

(10 Posts)
RachSt12 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:00:16

Does this sound like my son is teething?

For the last week my son has really decreased in the amount of milk he drinks.
He has slightly flushed cheeks and rubs his face.
A slightly sore bottom, but noticeably.

He's himself otherwise and sleeping ok.
We've had him checked over and he doesn't have a fever.
I've looked at his gums and they don't look excessively red, although if I put my finger in his mouth he really bites on it. He does the same with the test of the bottle.

Any thoughts?

TDmoocher Fri 03-Feb-17 16:08:09

It sounds so, what you are describing is the same as my dd. My dd (touch wood) doesn't seem to suffer too badly with teething, we often only realise when I notice a tooth has broken through. I always feel quite bad about it. How old is your ds?

Fresh01 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:09:15

How old is he?

I have found teething can happen at any time. My eldest got her first tooth at 4 months and had 11 by 11 months!

The others varied between 6 and 8 months to cut their first tooth. So really teeth in my experience can come anytime from 3-8 months. I have 4 kids.

We found the plastic teething rings you chill in the fridge or freezer helped. Also the Ashton Parsons teething powders.

RachSt12 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:22:55

He's 6 months, 3 months corrected.
He doesn't really bite anything. Although I saw him with the back of his hand in his mouth when we woke this morning.

RachSt12 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:25:14

Thank you for the tips.
DH and I are ever so worried about the lack of milk but he's having wet nappies and is generally happy.
I wish I just knew for sure... hmm

Fresh01 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:05:07

Have you just started him on solids? That could explain drinking less milk if he is starting solids?

RachSt12 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:40:49

We did a couple of days but he then decided to drink nothing so he's not had solids for 4 days.

Fresh01 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:48

Has he done a poo since you started solids? My eldest got constipated as we started her on solids as her body got use to the change from breastmilk to purée.

Only other thought is have you increased the teat size so he gets a faster flow of milk? As they get older they can get fed up sucking if they are still on a slow flowing teat.

As they can't talk it is a guessing game. No fever and wet nappies are a good sign though.

RachSt12 Sat 04-Feb-17 07:50:10

Yes he's had plenty of dirty nappies and I've got faster teats, doesn't seem to be either of those.
It's such a guessing game.

Fresh01 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:57:54

Main thing is he is happy and in good form. Next week he will probably drink endless amounts of milk : )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: