Talk

Advanced search

3 year old portion sizes?

(8 Posts)
Ohb0llocks Fri 03-Feb-17 14:15:59

3yo DS has recently become a nightmare at meal times and I have a feeling he's being overfaced by the food on his plate!

I massively overestimate just how much he can eat, and I can't remember the last time we had a clean plate.

I'm thinking maybe of getting him some of those plates with sections so he can see everything there and it's not as overwhelming for him, and so I can have a rough idea of how much he actually wants to/should be eating?

SerialReJoiner Fri 03-Feb-17 14:18:04

Sounds like a good plan to me. My 3yo DD always eats better when I dish up tiny portions. She would rather ask for seconds than be faced with a larger amount of food at once.

Doje Fri 03-Feb-17 14:20:30

I found this really useful - the link is for carbs, but within it there's links to meat/veg/fruit

www.babycentre.co.uk/l25017775/portion-sizes-for-toddlers-bread-cereals-potatoes-and-starchy-foods-photos.

I cut back my 2yr old to the lower end of the suggestions and have seen a massive difference. There's always seconds if he wants, and usually fruit and/or yogurt for pud.

I

Heirhelp Fri 03-Feb-17 14:23:20

You might find this helpful
www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Good_food_choices_and_portion_sizes%201-4_for_web.pdf

empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Feb-17 14:37:16

Mine are 5 now but I've always found a small bit on a small plate results in much more being actually eaten, or now they're a bit older food in the middle of the table to help themselves. They seem to get overwhelmed by a lot in one go.

NannyR Fri 03-Feb-17 14:45:59

this is a useful guide. It's free to download (donations asked for) and shows you photographs of what constitutes a balanced diet and appropriate portion sizes for different aged children.

Ohb0llocks Fri 03-Feb-17 20:34:47

Thank you all smile

isthistoonosy Fri 03-Feb-17 20:39:51

We use side plates and family service for our two and.three yr old. Normally works ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now