Talk

Advanced search

Books, articles on screen time for 8yo? and parents!

(5 Posts)
Sillytheothecat Thu 02-Feb-17 20:24:20

My 8 yo boy gets very cross at my screen time restrictions, he won't accept there are any downsides to excessive screen time, I know the evidence is not necessarily firmed up on this, but are there any books or articles aimed at children you know about?

Or even books aimed at adults which he might get some of if he read with me? He's very bright, just a little bummer when it comes to constant screen demands!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 02-Feb-17 20:29:07

Does he have to read something? Surely at this age no should be enough?

Sillytheothecat Thu 02-Feb-17 22:21:09

Of course, he doesn't 'need' to, anymore than he 'needs' to have screen time! But he likes to know why, I struggle to explain why I don't want him to spend too much time on screens. I know why - balance of activities, boredom is good for you, time on other things etc. He's quite intelligent and science focus and I just think if he read about recommended screen times etc it might help (it might not of course!)

LiveLifeWithPassion Fri 03-Feb-17 00:05:06

I did something similar with my dcs. I think they tend to respect the rules more if they know why they're in place.
I recall I didn't find exactly what I wanted buy some Googled articles had some relevant paragraphs that I read out loud to them. There was more stuff specifically related to gaming.

user1488902838 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:37:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now