Talk

Advanced search

Stains on children's clothing

(6 Posts)
Sjane11 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:28:02

Hello I am a textiles student at university in my final year. I would like to design a clothing collection for babies & toddlers that will be sustainable by disguising stains through use of pattern and colour. I will be using a luxury yarn to knit the garments with, then it will be treated with a stain resistant treatment.

Anyway I am just wondering if some parents could please give me some feedback on these three questions:
Where abouts do stains commonly appear on your child's clothing, is it on the chest or knee area etc?
How did the stain occur, Is it through messy play, eating or falling etc?
Was the stain easy to remove or did you just throw the item of clothing out afterwards?

I have a daughter myself and I know that stains can be a nuisance. I would really appreciate it if I could get some answers to my questions from other parents in order to inform my research and base my collection on real life facts regarding stains on children's clothing.

Thanks

user1477282676 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:31:50

Great idea. Cuffs and chest....when they're toddlers...they get food in those areas.

Knees and bottoms....for me it's mainly food when they were small but now I have an 8 year old who plays outside a LOT and she tears the knees of her trousers all the time. So I'd also like toughened knees. grin

user1477282676 Wed 01-Feb-17 22:32:42

Oh, re. removing stains...some stains just won't come out. Some mud and bannana are HARD to get out. I tend to soak in cold water and if that doesn't work I either keep the clothing for messy play or throw it away.

TwatteryFlowers Wed 01-Feb-17 22:36:37

Where abouts do stains commonly appear on your child's clothing, is it on the chest or knee area etc? Some stains on the chest area, some on the cuffs but mainly on the knees.

How did the stain occur, Is it through messy play, eating or falling etc? Kneeling on the ground when playing outside at school or nursery. Knee skids.

Was the stain easy to remove or did you just throw the item of clothing out afterwards? Tried with white vinegar but that didn't work. Tried on a different set of clothes with cold water and washing up liquid, which was more successful, but still stained. I don't chuck out the clothes - I keep them and they wear them again for nursery (and ds wears school uniform and we can't afford to keep replacing it).

It's annoying when trousers for girls are light pink, yellow or white and made of really cheap, thin material. Who the heck thought that was a good idea for a young child?!

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 01-Feb-17 22:37:57

Where abouts do stains commonly appear on your child's clothing, is it on the chest or knee area etc?
Chest area from food stains mainly
Also on cuffs, but I'm less concerned by that
A bit in the bum from sitting on the ground, again can often be ignored
But the chest stains are the ones that really ruin a piece of clothing

How did the stain occur, Is it through messy play, eating or falling etc?
Eating 99%

Was the stain easy to remove or did you just throw the item of clothing out afterwards?
I very rarely manage to remove stains, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!
I do try to carry on using it, unless it is a big stain

Sjane11 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:05:43

Thank you all so much for your feedback, much appreciated. This has helped me a lot regarding the route that I am going to take. I think I am going to focus on trying to disguise the stains on the chest, cuffs, and knee areas of the garments. Thanks again for your guidance I will update you on how I get on with my collection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now