Talk

Advanced search

Milk feeds for nearly 1 year old with childminder

(4 Posts)
Tumtitum Wed 01-Feb-17 17:23:09

DD will be one in a couple of weeks and I will be going back to work. She is breastfed and has the occasional bottle, eg when DH puts her to bed. Currently her main breastfeeds are morning and bed time, but I also feed her to sleep for her naps (whole other thread!! grin). She does however sometimes miss those naptime feeds, e.g. if we are going out in the car for her morning nap, or if we are out and about in the afternoon.
She will be with a childminder a few days a week whilst I am at work and she spent a few hours there this afternoon. I wasn't really sure what to do about milk both in terms of what she needs and in terms of how she would sleep. So I just left her with a bottle of formula and she had almost the whole thing (probably about 170ml - she doesn't usually have this much if DH puts her to bed at night!) before her afternoon nap and then had a really good sleep.
Obviously that worked well, but I'm aware that she doesn't really "need" to have a bottle, both in terms of hunger (as she can go a good few hours in the day without milk and she eats and drinks fairly well) and also aware that they shouldn't really have bottles as they get older... so I'm wondering if instead of giving her a bottle before her nap I should give her milk/formula in a sippy cup? I guess I'm just worried that she won't get the comfort factor and also that she won't drink as much out of a sippy cup.
Any advice or can you tell me what you've done in similar situations? What age would I then start weaning her off the middle of the day bottle?? Very confused! confused

isthistoonosy Wed 01-Feb-17 17:25:46

We dropped daytime milk at one when they started nursery but if she needs the comfort you could give a little milk or a dummy for naptime only.

Looneytune253 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:29:52

To be fair to the childminder though if you're feeding to sleep then she should prob have the bottle too. It's hard enough to get them to sleep in an unfamiliar environment as it is. Once she's settled, maybe in a few weeks if you are going to withdraw daytime milk, I would suggest you give it a try at home for a week or so and if your lo manages it ok you can then ask the cm to implement too perhaps?

Tumtitum Wed 01-Feb-17 19:10:09

Thanks for the responses. I think I might start her off with a bottle and then after a few weeks drop the milk when I'm at home on my days off first before doing it at the childminders too. We tried to do some sleeps a few weeks ago without feeding to sleep and it was a flippin' nightmare! Still, needs must!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now