Talk

Advanced search

8 year old girl - negative and grumpy - anyone else?

(3 Posts)
Youngoldmum Wed 01-Feb-17 09:19:04

My 8 year old girl used to be such a happy and carefree little thing but lately she seems to constantly find reasons to be grumpy and miserable. She is always complaining about school (never did this before) and makes up scenarios in her head to complain about that aren't even likely! Her favourite phrase is 'not fair'. I recently had a baby (8 weeks) and before this she was the only child, but I feel she was turning this way before the baby arrived. I split up with her dad 4 years ago so again don't think that can be a factor. I suppose I'm just wondering if others have these issues with 8 year olds? I'm swapping between blaming myself and feeling sad to snapping at her for being so grumpy all the time. I've tried talking to her and getting her to express her feelings which she will do, but she gives different reasons every time so I wonder if she's just saying something to get off the hook of having to talk!

BlueChampagne Wed 01-Feb-17 12:55:05

Hormones might explain why she keeps giving different answers, because she really doesn't know what the underlying problem is, and can only pin-point the triggers?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-Feb-17 18:59:50

It could be hormones or it could just be her getting used to not being the only one anymore. Do you get any time with her alone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now