Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stop Sterilising at 1yo

(14 Posts)
Tweedledee3Tweedledum Mon 30-Jan-17 19:33:50

Is it just a matter of stopping? Do you just start washing dummies etc in hot soapy water?

AllTheBabies Mon 30-Jan-17 19:37:19

I stopped sterilising dummies when dd2 was about 5/6 months. She was crawling so it didn't seem worth sterilising a dummy when the baby is regularly spending time face first down on the carpet or shoving any old thing in her mouth!

AuntieStella Mon 30-Jan-17 19:39:01

Once your DC is self propelling and licking the dog, there's no need to sterilise. Hot soapy water or dishwasher is fine.

Caterina99 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:33:55

I only sterilised bottles with formula. Dummies got chucked in occasionally once they'd been washed (or they got found somewhere random like under the sofa and put in his mouth anyway,so I didn't worry too much about it). Once he moved to cows milk I stopped sterilising anything

Chocolateorangegoblin Mon 30-Jan-17 20:53:13

If you are using formula you need to sterilise bottles to kill any bacteria that might be lurking. It's nothing to do with them eating stuff off the floor.

Anditstartsagain Mon 30-Jan-17 21:04:14

When I stopped with ds1 I stopped bowls spoons and dummies at 6 months then at 11.5 months stopped bottles but if there was a bottle left sitting for a good while I would stick it in some Milton after washing in hot soapy water he's almost 5 now and i find a cup or spoon lurking somewhere I put it in Milton.

Camomila Mon 30-Jan-17 21:06:44

I've never sterilised anything, but DS doesn't have bottles or dummies.
We started weaning at 6 months and just washed his bowls, spoons and beakers (only have water in) with the rest of the washing up, his tethers also get washed in washing up liquid and left to dry.
The one thing I sort of sterilise is the calpol syringe when I use it, I boil the kettle and then leave the syringe in a mug of boiled water for a bit to make sure it's properly clean.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 30-Jan-17 21:10:19

Ds was off bottles and onto tommy tippee cups around 5 months old (weaning started at 3 months back in olden times) and they were washed in the dishwasher.

empirerecordsrocked Mon 30-Jan-17 21:27:21

I stopped when dts started licking lean wheels and eating shoes. Dishwashed bottles after that, about 10 months I think.

PacificDogwod Mon 30-Jan-17 21:29:32

Just stop.

I never sterilised anything ever again after I was advised not to in hospital when I took my preemie DS2 home (born at 31 weeks).
The U.S. do not advise sterilisation of baby equipment as a matter of routine.

Crumbs1 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:30:40

Never sterilised anything - but breastfed so only plates, bowls and water beakers.

Loveabath Mon 30-Jan-17 21:30:40

I stopped sterilising (literally dropped overnight), at 5/6 months purely because I hate things on my kitchen counter tops. The dishwasher should clean thorough enough. I often rinse bottles in the sink though to get rid of milk sediment (if that's a thing).

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 30-Jan-17 21:32:17

I never sterilised anything. I used the hottest wash in the dishwasher. We didn't use formula but I had lots of stuff to keep clean for EBM.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 31-Jan-17 07:29:33

"If you are using formula you need to sterilise bottles to kill any bacteria that might be lurking. It's nothing to do with them eating stuff off the floor."

Not really. By the time they are big enough to be doing that, they have matured enough to cope with many microbes that people routinely encounter. A dishwasher wash makes things plenty clean enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now