Talk

Advanced search

Recommend an iPad app to help 4 year old learn to read?

(10 Posts)
minipie Mon 30-Jan-17 10:36:15

My 4 yr old DD loves books, loves words and has been doing well at learning her letters but is resistant if we try to encourage her to take the next step and blend them into words (I think she is worried she will get it wrong)

I think an app would help her as then she could practice blending on her own without anyone over her shoulder iyswim. Also she loves the iPad but is rarely allowed it so think she'd be very keen on an app grin

Any recommendations please? Paid or free.

firawla Mon 30-Jan-17 10:40:25

Reading eggs is good

minipie Mon 30-Jan-17 12:08:54

Thank you! It looks like they do a 2 week free trial so that's great, I can see how she takes to it.

Any more suggestions welcome!

Coconut0il Mon 30-Jan-17 19:06:53

Teach your monster to read is quite good. Think you can start with different levels. If I remember right level 1 is letter sounds but you can skip this.

minipie Mon 30-Jan-17 22:47:02

Thanks, will check it out.

BlueChampagne Tue 31-Jan-17 13:28:40

Pocket Phonics

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 13:30:59

Thanks Blue - we have the free "taster" Pocket Phonics app but that just has a few letters I think, not words (I may be misremembering). DD does seem to like it though. Do you have the paid for app? Thanks

minipie Tue 31-Jan-17 13:31:46

By the way, I don't mind apps which include things she already knows (letter sounds etc) as it's good to boost confidence and practice - just obviously want ones which go further than that too!

ThatsNotMyToddler Tue 31-Jan-17 19:46:16

My son loved the Jolly Phonhcs letter sounds garden app - pic attached. I tried reading eggs but not sure if I got the wrong one - it seemed very slow and he got bored. He's a pretty fluent reader now but still likes playing the JP games if allowed the iPad

ThatsNotMyToddler Tue 31-Jan-17 19:48:31

Should say that this one does each sound in turn but also blending and (finger) writing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now