Talk

Advanced search

first 'playdate' invitation

(7 Posts)
IamAporcupine Sun 29-Jan-17 23:35:33

DS goes to reception. I got a text today from one of the mums inviting him to around theirs to play and have tea. DS was excited but assumed me or his dad would go with him.
He's never been alone to a friends house, and to be fair, he's only been without us on a small number of occasions (no family around, and not many friends with children his age). He absolutely fine at school but just does not feel that confident outside formal settings.
Ideally I'd like to go with him the first time, but I do not want to impose, as she probably just wants to get on with her things.

Do you have any suggestion?

Play dates are very short at that age, by the time they're home from school and had a little play it'll be tea time (5ish) and then you'd arrive.
I'd just arrive early to collect and have a cuppa and chat then he'll be without you hardly at all.
If he's really anxious have the first play date at yours maybe?

nancy75 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:38:05

Tell her he would like to come but is nervous of going on his own , she will either say you can come too or she will say let's leave it for now.
You could invite other child to yours instead?

catkind Sun 29-Jan-17 23:49:17

I assume parents will likely want to come too in reception, specially if no older sibs. And I don't consider it an imposition, it's another adult to keep an eye on the kids while I sort tea.

I like Nancy's suggestion. Maybe have a chat at pickup so you can gauge their response.

IamAporcupine Sun 29-Jan-17 23:49:59

Thanks, yes I thought of inviting the other kid first (although that still does not solve what will happen when is his turn!). I'll tell her he's nervous and see what she says.

Oh, and thanks for clarifying what time is 'tea time', I had no idea! blush We do snack after school and dinner at 6:30-7pm

Xmasbaby11 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:51:28

Dd is on reception and all playmates include parents. Are you sure you aren't expected to go?

Dd absolutely would not feel comfortable going to a friend's house for the first time without me, and I wouldn't do it either. I'd need to get to know the parents a little first.

IamAporcupine Sun 29-Jan-17 23:57:34

I don't think I am expected to go - she said she was happy to get them both from school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now