Talk

Advanced search

Help - everyone loves dd

(9 Posts)
GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Feb-07 08:29:06

DD is 2 and adorable, or so I'm constantly told. She is certainly very cute and is most definately aware of this and flirts with everyone she meets.

Of course I should be happy that people keep telling me how lovely she is and I would be were it not for ds.

DS is 3 and mischief incarnate. He is also very loud and demanding of attention.

How do I deal with everyone (even my father and close friends) telling dd she is wonderful and ingnoring ds. Almost every time we go out, dd manages to get something given to her in a shop or from a stall which I either have to refuse or get another one for ds.

I love dd very much, but I love ds too and am worried that he will be upset by the constant attention she receives. Clearly I can tell friends and family to be more even handed, but how do I deal with strangers.

Any advice gratefully received.

Megglevache Mon 26-Feb-07 08:33:29

Message withdrawn

GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Feb-07 08:40:43

Thanks meggle - that's exactly what I worry about for ds. He is so confident at the moment and I would hate anything to happen that changes that. I just can't belive that people don't think of this.

Megglevache Mon 26-Feb-07 08:44:09

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Mon 26-Feb-07 08:54:58

Acknowledge compliments and say pointedly "yes I have TWO lovely children" and hope they take the hint?

tortoiseSHELL Mon 26-Feb-07 08:57:12

I agree with F&Z. Also, when she's three and horrible, your ds will be 4 and really good, if they're anything like mine!

GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Feb-07 09:06:45

Good idea F&Z - will give it a go. My problem is that when I think my children are being hurt in any way a red mist descends over me and I find I can only either mutter politely or rant, pointed comments are usually beyond me. However, will commit this to memory.

That's already the case Tortoise - she is angelic in public but can be a monster at home. The last friend who said "ooh, I could take her home with me", looked on in horror several hours later as dd turned purple with rage in a cafe because I had opened something for her and ds just sat there being good as gold.

Actually I worry that it may have adverse effects on dd as well as she believes that she can manipulate people in to giving her whatever she wants.

3littlefrogs Mon 26-Feb-07 19:28:46

Immediately say "yes, and she is so lucky to have a lovely big brother who is so kind and patient with her. He is such a big help to me..." etc etc. Cuddle them both, smile and move on.

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Feb-07 08:31:29

Thanks littlefrogs, I do hug him, but will try and make a bigger issue if it with the people who are showering dd with affection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now