Talk

Advanced search

What will the first few weeks with a newborn be like?

(82 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Sat 28-Jan-17 00:20:53

Hi everyone,

I'm currently pregnant and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what your experience was in the first few weeks after having your DC. I'm planning to try breastfeeding, so that may change the experience slightlysmile

Things such as: how often will they feed, how often will they get up in the night etc smile

Thank you for any experiences that you sharesmile

Stuffedshirt Sat 28-Jan-17 00:25:13

I BF and those early weeks were a blur of feeding, feeding, feeding, trying to sleep, feeling anxious, feeling exhausted, more feeding, then slowly relaxing a bit and enjoying my new DS.

Prettybaffled Sat 28-Jan-17 00:29:04

Lovely, exhausting smile

I would buy and read a good book about bf as they are a mine of useful info! The food of love is a very good book.

flowers

ijustwannadance Sat 28-Jan-17 00:33:58

A sleepless blur.

PleaseNotTrump Sat 28-Jan-17 00:39:53

Exhilarating, exciting, tiring, frightening, blissful - all at once!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sat 28-Jan-17 00:40:35

I've managed to blank it out. I was so tired. Feeding and changing nappies and an unreliable sleep schedule.

Look out a couple of decent boxsets and put them aside.

Cranb0rne Sat 28-Jan-17 14:46:35

Utterly exhausting. Don't plan on doing anything except lying in bed or sitting on the sofa feeding.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 28-Jan-17 14:49:13

I remember : Inconsistent timings. Cold tea. Crying. Laughing. Biscuits. Sofa. Googling at 3am. Laundry. Snuggles.

Cranb0rne Sat 28-Jan-17 14:51:41

A lot of crying (on my part)

RoseHarper Sat 28-Jan-17 14:54:04

Lovely. Expect to be tired, but after the first couple of nights both mine settled and would sleep for chunks of time...2-4 hours at a time, both EBF. Sleep when they sleep if you can. Stock up the freezer/cupboards with good nutritious food so you dont have that to worry about. Its such a lovely time, know your limitations and i think if you accept/expect to spend a vast chunk of time sitting on the sofa cuddling your baby and feeding you can enjoy it. I viewed it as the only time i had "permission" to do nothing!! Newborn cuddles are just lovely.

Calphurnia Sat 28-Jan-17 14:56:26

I loved it! Once I stopped trying to be a domestic goddess...

As long as your concentrate on yourself & the new arrival, and don't try to be superwoman, you'll be fine.

While you're feeding, watch some TV or read an ebook. You'll get good at doing things one handed - toast is easier than cereal for example.

Highly recommend the Wonder Weeks App so you can reassure yourself of what's normal for your baby at their stage of development

BertieBotts Sat 28-Jan-17 14:59:27

Don't expect to get anything else done except get to know your baby. Make it as easy on yourself as you can by taking care of as many things in advance as possible - cooking food for the freezer, locating breastfeeding helplines and drop-ins, making sure you have a working washing machine etc.

It's a full time job! I can't give you timings because every baby is different, but it will certainly be round the clock at first.

GobblersKnob Sat 28-Jan-17 15:01:38

Mine were just a blur of tired - settee, dressing gown, tea and biscuits grin

Just feed, sleep, cuddle. Give no fucks for anything else, normal life can resume later smile

mimiholls Sat 28-Jan-17 15:08:58

A complete life shock. For my first I cried a lot and hated every moment of the first few weeks to be honest. Everyones different- dont feel guilty if you wonder why its not the 'blissful' lovely time a lot of people tell you it is. It's different for everyone and a lot will depend on your baby and how you get on breastfeeding (seek out local support groups now in case you need them). If you find it tough rest assured it does get much easier and more lovely!

Heatherbell1978 Sat 28-Jan-17 15:16:12

I'm about to do it again with number 2 so it can't be that bad....but a bit of a blur. I found the sleeplessness tolerable as I was probably running on a bit of adrenaline and hormones. The breastfeeding was hard, baby latched fine but I constantly leaked milk and boobs were like rocks. I had a straightforward birth but was in a lot more pain after than expected, every muscle ached from pushing, I was breathless walking and had stitches which were uncomfortable.

NickMarlow Sat 28-Jan-17 15:16:14

The most overwhelming love for dd, and amazement at everything about her. And total, total exhaustion.

Dd fed about every 90 minutes, day and night, for the first few weeks. I watched a lot of box sets! Dh did all the cooking, shopping, housework etc, feeding was a full time job. Freeze meals in advance and get easy food in that you can eat with one hand if breastfeeding. It was weeks before I ate a meal with 2 hands!

Ummmmgogo Sat 28-Jan-17 15:17:30

The most important things to remember are take lots of photos they grow and change unbelievelably quickly, and nap whenever you can, it's tiring in the first few weeks.

On a very good night your baby will get up once or twice for a breastfeed, on a very bad night anything up to 13 times!

My babies pooed a lot, up to ten times a day but they are not all like that.

I was very sweaty in the first few days and the midwife said it might be my body getting rid of the fluid. It surprised me. I also didn't realise that I would bleed for 3 weeks after giving birth 🙈. When my milk came in I had to wear breastpads or the milk would leak onto my clothes.

All in all i would say it is a unique experience, which can be very tiring and messy. Some people love it, some people hate it, but in the grand scheme of things it's a short period in your life.

Congratulations on your pregnancy xx

JennyOnAPlate Sat 28-Jan-17 15:19:26

In my experience (2 dc) there is no night and day for the first 4-6 weeks. I was feeding every 1.5 to 2 hours round the clock at that stage.

By 6ish weeks they were doing a 4ish hour stretch at night then back to the 1.5 to 2 hours.

We managed a 6 hour stretch over night by about 10 weeks I think.

gunting Sat 28-Jan-17 15:21:37

I thought it was quite hard but now DS can walk and climb and looking back, it was relaxing in comparison grin

Make sure your DP is willing to help out with cooking, washing, bedtimes and you'll be fine. I restricted visitors so we weren't overwhelmed.

SprogletsMum Sat 28-Jan-17 15:21:53

I found the early weeks with my first seemed to be like one constant day. Meals and sleep were at totally random times.
Slightly more structure when dc2 was born as obviously dc1 needed to be fed and out to bed at normal times.
Not much difference to usual with dc3 I didn't miss a school run! The tiredness was easier to cope with too because I'd done it before.

Famalam13 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:09:17

I hated the first weeks. Was completely overwhelmed and isolated. I wish I could go back and do it again with the confidence as a parent I have now. My advice would be to build a nest on the sofa or bed with drinks and snacks to hand and a good series to watch and snuggle. Sleep when baby sleeps and don't do anything else.

Whatsername17 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:19:58

Read up on cluster feeding. I had lactation failure with dd1 and really want to bf dd2 (who is 8 days old) she had her first cluster feeding session a few days ago and it was a massive sock to my system. Id recommended getting a sleepyhead deluxe mattress as we have safely coslept in that at night amd it's saved my sanity at times.

RPC3110 Sat 28-Jan-17 23:33:35

Every baby is different. The first week with mine I was in hospital until around day five so it wasn't a great time because every day I was there I wished I could be at home. Did enjoy the days when I was at home but it was exhausting because my DS decided to feed every hour of the day and night and I was hand expressing because it hurt so bad to breast feed properly then he was having aptimil top ups too so I barely slept.

I gave up around two weeks and just got powder and bottles, it was pretty much a blur the first month but it was nice when he started to sleep more in the night when we switched to formula so I enjoyed the days with him more and the special times like giving him his first bath and seeing his cord fall off.

It's exhausting but rewarding especially as they grow and get older

Hawkmoth Sat 28-Jan-17 23:36:57

Give up all your expectations and just react to your baby's needs. Then after about eight weeks you wake up a bit and things seem to be real again. It's lovely, but only if you don't expect anything from it.

My strongest memories with my first are getting well acquainted with Asian cricket and baseball. Cups of tea at 3am. Everything was upside down.

AyeAmarok Sat 28-Jan-17 23:49:21

Feeding, winding, feeding, changing nappy, exhaustion, cracked bleeding nipples, feeding, tears (mine), feeding every 90 minutes during the night, crying with exhaustion while trying to not fall asleep while feeding him in bed, and really fucking hating DP for being able to get up, change a nappy and then go back to sleep 2 minutes later, while I had to stay awake to feed, feed, feed. Realising that newborns don't sleep quietly. Jumping up every few minutes to make sure he was still breathing.

Other memories are lots of visits from wonderful midwives who were all very kind, helpful and supportive, painful stitches, the bleeding-oh dear God the bleeding (it is NOT like a heavy period, it's like a fortnight long massacre), being absolutely petrified trying to poo (and having lots of discussions on here with lovely MNers about that). Showering after every pee.

Ah, good times. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now