Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Newborn dry skin

(18 Posts)
PeachBellini123 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:15:51

DS is 17 days old. He's got quite dry skin on his forehead, I'm assuming it's from having the central heating on constantly at the moment.

Can anyone tell me the best thing to use? I don't bathe him too often and only use water.

charley3005 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:19:33

My DD is 6 weeks but has dry skin aswell but this is down to her having allergy to cows milk protein, health visitor has suggested getting some Aveeno for her skin on the minor ailments scheme, last week she also started with pretty bad cradle cap on her forehead so I started using olive oil on it and it worked really well grin

PeachBellini123 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:31:03

That's interesting. I'm allergic to cows milk so wonder of it's the same for DS. Will mention that to health visitor then.

Olive oil sounds good. I am keen to use something natural.

NurseRosie Fri 27-Jan-17 10:40:35

I use coconut oil on my baby. It cleared up his cradle cap in less than a week. Its easy to apply as is solid and melts in your hands. Our health visitors recommend grapeseed oil and use that for baby massage. I would think anything natural woulf be ok. I know Aveeno ir Oilatum are good but unless you can get a prescription could be costly.

charley3005 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:41:41

That's what I thought aswell especially with it being near her eyes, the aveeno has worked really well on her body though so if your DS gets that I'd try it, can be pricey but if you are signed up to minor ailments check it out! I've also been told about one for the bath aswell and to steer clear of Johnsons products x

purplefizz26 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:53:48

My daughter was born 2 weeks past her due date. I know when she was conceived so knew the date provided by scan was wrong by over a week, so she was technically born 3 weeks past due date. All of her vernix was gone, absolutely nothing coating her skin, she was so so dry and had cracked skin.

The midwives and health visitors insisted I should use nothing but olive oil dabbed on with cotton wool. They made out Johnsons and other baby products were the work of her devil.

It got worse and worse and she smelled like she was about to be bunged in the oven and cooked after a few days of it.

I gave up and bought some of this cream and it cleared up within a couple of days, and we never looked back.

Whatsername17 Fri 27-Jan-17 11:56:01

With dd1 my gp prescribed Aveeno. It cleared the dry skin up in hours.

Heirhelp Fri 27-Jan-17 12:10:52

Olive oil should not be used as it thins the skin and babies already have very thin skin. You could use coconut oil instead.

Hydromol worked well for my DD.

MadeForThis Fri 27-Jan-17 12:12:19

Coconut oil is fantastic.

PeachBellini123 Fri 27-Jan-17 13:38:07

Purple - my DS was late as well (induced in the end) so that probably didn't help.

Will try coconut oil as have that in the cupboard...and at least he'll smell amazing grin

Littlelegs19 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:10:14

I used Johnson and my poor son had a terrible reaction to it and was worse than before! We now use a organic lavender one from boots that I can't remember the name of 😊

RapidlyOscillating Sat 28-Jan-17 09:13:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeachBellini123 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:14:38

Thanks Rapidly that's interesting. Will definitely still clear of Johnsons!

mamma2016 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:15:23

Definitely coconut oil. Completely natural and good for countless uses.

Fruitboxjury Sat 28-Jan-17 09:18:15

Coconut oil

Also means they don't smell like a fry up which I hated about olive oil! Steer clear of any branded products, use 100% natural and that's it.

Also if you're in a hard water area it can make dry skin much much worse

Phoenix76 Sat 28-Jan-17 23:23:36

Agree with coconut oil. My dd2 (10 months) had severe diarrhoea which, despite our best efforts, led to the worst nappy rash I'd ever seen, it actually bled. I tried all the medicated products until someone recommended pure coconut oil, she's like a different baby. Evidently, it's naturally anti bacterial etc and unless I'd seen the results myself I wouldn't have believed it!

FartnissEverbeans Tue 31-Jan-17 08:35:54

Everyone online said not to use Johnsons but our wee one had cradle cap and I used some baby oil in the bath (we were given it as a gift and as a freebie from the hospital so had tons of the stuff!), rubbing it gently with a towel afterwards. I found the cradle cap quite greasy so the oil and warm water softened it and the towel took it off. It cleared up fine and within a few days looked loads better. His skin is beautiful now. I use baby oil whenever he has a bath.

I've also put some bepanthen on dry patches of skin and that sorted it out.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 31-Jan-17 08:37:53

Also, avoid touching your own face when using coconut oil as I heard it comodegenic..?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: