Talk

Advanced search

Girls aged 8-10 ish. Hair washing struggles/questions!

(9 Posts)
Cobweb89 Fri 27-Jan-17 09:08:20

My dd is just 9 and cannot wash her own hair in the shower. We have tried loads of times and she either only washes part of it, doesn't rinse properly, turns the shower on and off about ten times etc and I end up having to help and well that doesn't really result in the water staying in the shower! It is driving me round the bend as she needs to take a shower and wash her hair four times every week now (due to swimming x2 and hockey x2).

Also, I would say every girl in her class (mŷ dd included) has masses and masses of hair. Some of them have waist and bum length hair. Dd's is well past her shoulders but short when compared to classmates. Why do they all have their hair so long and how do people manage to get it washed without it taking up loads of time confused. I am getting to the stage where I am thinking of asking dd to get half of it cut off, maybe into a bob but I don't know if this is mean as it seems like long hair is the "thing". How can I make this easier??

ShelaghTurner Fri 27-Jan-17 09:16:30

I feel your pain. My 9yo has been washing her own hair in the shower for the last year or so and I just let her get on with it. I remind her every time to make sure she rinses it for a long time and concentrates on the top where it's started to be a bit greasy. It's a bit hit and miss but she's got to learn. If I had to be in and out like you're describing I'd insist on washing her hair in the bath like I used to!

1happyhippie Fri 27-Jan-17 09:21:38

My 9 yr old washes her own hair now. Sometimes it needs an extra rinse to get all the shampoo out. I would just keep encouraging her to wash it herself.
My 7 yr old dd has her hair in a bob. To be honest it doesn't make it much easier, it has to be blow dried into the style and isn't long enough to just stick a bobble in it.

Downstairspoo Fri 27-Jan-17 09:28:48

I have to wash my 9 yr olds. She won't let me see her in the bath anymore so this entails her wearing a swimming costume. We only do it once a week though. Can't bear anymore and it is quite thick luckily so doesn't get greasy quickly. It's long though!

RapidlyOscillating Fri 27-Jan-17 09:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Keeptrudging Fri 27-Jan-17 09:35:02

DD was really bad at rinsing her hair at that age. I sat with her (on dry land!) and acted out/got her to copy exactly how to wash hair, for the length of time she should be doing it, while giving 'wet hair/move head away from water/put shampoo on/rub rub rub rub.../put head back under water/rinse rub rinse rub.../keep going...keep going grin It made her giggle, but her washing really improved!

SittingDrinkingTea Fri 27-Jan-17 09:36:06

I still wash my nine year olds, although she doesn't like showers and always has baths which makes things easier. It's on the list of this year's life skills to teach her, she's not going to be happy about me seeing her naked for much longer but I don't entirely trust her to do it throughly yet either.

MrsPnut Fri 27-Jan-17 09:37:37

My 10 year old is not very good at washing her own hair and it often looks a bit greasy. I just make her wash her hair every time she has a shower (6 days a week due to sports) and try not to look too closely at it.

MrsPnut Fri 27-Jan-17 09:38:44

I've got her into the habit of shampooing twice which is helping it look better - and bizarrely it always looks better when she washes it in the showers at the gym than if she uses the shower at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now