Talk

Advanced search

12 month old who just will not drink anything! Any advice or experience welcome!

(11 Posts)
MYA2016 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:42:05

Since we started weaning we have offered ds water all the time. He wouldn't drink it. I bought every cup under the sun. Sippy cups, free flow, slow flow, cups with a teat type lid, open cups, cups that only allow water out when touching the lip, straw cups... honestly I could open a bloody cup shop.
I then started trying alternatives to water... baby apple juice, baby blackcurrant. Even formula in a cup. He just hates the cups.
So I tried water / juice in a tommee tipee bottle. Nope.

We are now at the point where he's 12 months old and literally does not drink. He was switched to cows milk on a bottle twice a day which he was drinking 12oz a day in total so I wasn't totally stressed as he was having fluids.
But the last week he's been taking 1-2oz max of milk! And still no other fluids.
I've seen 2 different doctors because he is really bothering me now. He rarely has a wet nappy - maybe 1 or 2 all day. Neither doctor seemed to think it was a problem. Just said he doesn't seem dehydrated by the look of his mouth and said it'll be a phase.
Any advice or experience? ! Help!

fluffandsnuff Tue 24-Jan-17 21:45:49

Short term solution- very watery fruit (watermelon etc). My DS went through a stage of this too and I know what you mean about cup shops!

PotteringAlong Tue 24-Jan-17 21:47:19

Ice lollies?

canyou Tue 24-Jan-17 21:47:26

No help but will he have ice pops? If yes maybe make your own with fresh juice amazon do dospossible mr freeze type moulds. Or jelly? Fluid is fluid. Bit messy but will he drink from a normal cup? My DD was a premie and was give milk from a spoon as a baby on weaning she drank from a jug using the spout blush
Or try a syringe with fluid in it to suck out?

ThePug Tue 24-Jan-17 21:55:56

Sounds very similar to mine (who'll be one next month), and we have a cup collection like yours too! I always said he'd only have water to drink, no juice or squash etc but yesterday I put a bit of squash in his free flow tommee tippee beaker (because I know liquid comes out of that easiest with no sucking involved) and once he tasted it he actually wanted to keep drinking. Had about 50ml from it yesterday and today.

I'm hoping I can keep making it weaker and weaker so once he's got into the habit of drinking he'll have plain water, but for the time being I'm just pleased he'll drink something. He's breastfed but feeding less & less now and, like your DS, there are some days when I only need to change his nappies a couple of times as he's hardly wee'ed.

To up his fluid intake I put plenty liquid in his mushed up meals, feed him, clementines, spoon feed him the appley water from when I've lightly stewed apples for him, and used his bath toys to squirt water in his mouth (at the start of a bath before we've put any soap in)!

SheepyFun Tue 24-Jan-17 21:56:45

DD wouldn't touch water until 18 months - even now, she'll only drink water and milk (she's 4). We tried lots of different cups, but to no avail. She still has milk in bottles (with teats), but at least she's getting fluid. Her milk (toddler formula as she struggles to eat a range of solids) is watered down, as she had been getting too many calories, but that only became a problem when she was 3, not 12 months. She finally took water in tommee tippee cups (free flow), though I'm sure other children will be different!

MYA2016 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:57:40

Thanks for responding :-) he does like watermelon and I try to give him other watery foods but struggle to think of any.
The only ice lollies he likes are mini milks! I know they're not the best but will they do short term?

I'm stressing because before now it's only been the lack of water I've been concerned about. Now im trying to find food that will provide water but also calcium due to the lack of milk too!

The only cheese he likes is Babybell. Oops

Canyou that really made me laugh about the jug!

canyou Tue 24-Jan-17 23:45:10

My DGM advised it. Apparently it was common to use a jug to feed babies confused Anything 'bold' is good.
Mini milks are liquid so yes hand them over to him smile
Berries would be good as well,
Good luck it is hardflowers

hilbil21 Wed 25-Jan-17 00:00:50

I had the same problem and the only cup which my son would accept was the munchkin 360 cup.

Heirhelp Wed 25-Jan-17 15:10:13

Does he drink bath water? Can you make it into a game in the bath?

PotteringAlong Wed 25-Jan-17 16:07:05

You can freeze milk so make your own mini milk lollies and kill two bids with one stone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now