Talk

Advanced search

work-life-parenting balance?

(6 Posts)
Rabbit01 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:36:25

Feeling so torn between working/parenting/me time (no me time at the moment). Wondering whether should give up job to become a fulltime mum so sanity can be reclaimed, stress lessened and life enjoyed more by all the family. Does anyone else feel like this?

Xmasbaby11 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:39:08

How old are the dc? It depends on lots of things. I work 3 days a week with a 3 and 5 yo. I've never been tempted to give up work as I worked hard for my job and I would struggle to get it back again in future. Also I think being at home is more stressful tbh! But it is hard juggling home and work. Home and kids take up a lot of my head space.

Mugsybalone Tue 24-Jan-17 21:39:22

Yes I'm feeling exactly the same and finding it hard to cope at the moment! How old are your children?

Rabbit01 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:48:51

DC are 9 and 6. They are getting to the stage where they need to talk through/have support through dramas with other children in the evening, which feels important. How about you mugsy? It can all be going fine and then the balance gets out of kilter and I begin to wonder whether I am on a treadmill for the next 20+ years. Hmmm, I'm sounding miserable!!

CooCooCachoo Tue 24-Jan-17 22:03:25

We were there two years ago with a four year old and one year old, both working full time - disaster! DH hated his job so gave up work by agreement between us (I loved my flexible job and have always preferred full time plus am insanely ambitious (at least I recognise this!) We were a bit worried about cash and had some squeaky moments but DH was able to work on a self employed basis in catering to help out when needed.

But it's really worked out. We could never both be there for the kids, always felt like everything had to be a compromise. For us, DH being the full time SAHD has worked so well that I am about to start a lovely new job working away during the week for a much better salary, which means DH doesn't have to do any other work at all, he WILL have his work cut out with two rowdy boys and a house to maintain however.

I have no guilt about not being there because it means DH can be, I do however feel a bit guilty about the unbroken sleep, lack of school run and peaceful dinners I will get to enjoy during the week ☺️

If you can give up work do it! We gave a much happier relaxed household as a result.

Rabbit01 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:10:01

Oh coo coo I am totally with you there. I am certainly feeling like we are surviving rather than living at the moment. I do have a good job, but after being back at fulltime for two years I am starting to wonder whether life ought to have some regular chill times in it rather than the constant go go go that we are on at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now