Talk

Advanced search

Remind me what I need to do / tips for number 2 coming along

(15 Posts)
MrsNuckyThompson Mon 23-Jan-17 18:42:48

Owing to busy job, 3 year old, house renovations and a few other personal things going on I've barely had time to think about the arrival of #2 who will be with us in no more than 7 weeks' time today.

I have washed some newborn outfits and bought some new things (DS last time, DD this time), have a vague idea where the car seat and pram are stashed in the loft and will buy some nappies in the coming weeks. Planning to BF again so no bottles etc (maybe I should buy some bottles and a steriliser just in case?!).

What else should I be doing? I can barely remember what I need to stock up on / do?

Phoenix76 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:43:41

You've certainly had your hands full! Look after yourself first and foremost. Try and get some rest, easier said than done with a 3 year old I know. Take time to prepare 3 year old for baby's arrival, get a toy that baby has bought for him and have it in baby's cot when they meet, worked a treat for us and thanks to their bond my dd1 (also 3) has been super helpful with dd2. Things like maternity pads often get over looked, Lanisoh for bf I don't think you need to worry about bottles etc if you do find you need them they're not hard to get. Lots of cotton wool for baby's bottom, nappy cream. You can't use Calpol until they're 2 months but worth buying ready for if/when you will need it as time goes quick! Bedding for basket. At the end of the day though, you've got the essentials sorted, babies don't need much just milk, clean nappies/clothes, sleep and plenty of cuddles! Enjoy these precious, and totally knackering, times you have ahead x

Jellybluebean Tue 24-Jan-17 04:46:43

Just marking my place here as in the same position and have been struggling to remember exactly what we need etc. Due in 4 weeks do need to get ready really!

One thing I am planning to do is to stock up on a range of little things for DD1 - like new stickers, little coloring pads, craft stuff etc. There is lots on sale after Christmas and thought it would be good as novelty/distraction when feeding etc.

I've also just remembered now that I should buy new mattress for pram and cot..

ImYourMama Tue 24-Jan-17 05:29:50

I only have dd1 but thought I'd say what I use Day to day..

Nappies/wipes/nappy bags/sudocrem
Muslins
Nursing bras
Nipple pads
Nipple cream
Vest/sleepsuits/cardigan
Blankets
Gro bag's
Moses basket (new mattress?)
Pram
Car seat
Isofix base
Car mirror (for rear facing)
Baby bath

Hope that helps! smile

electrasy Tue 24-Jan-17 06:30:47

As well as the practical stuff mentioned get a present from baby for DC1 and put it in hospital bag. Then you or DP take DC1 shopping to pick a present for baby.

And get that stuff out the loft to check its not musty as will need time to air.

I breastfed but like you wanted to have a back up just in case. Buy one of those 'baby starter packs' with premade formula and sealed sterilised teats that screw on. Although a steriliser might be handy in case you want to express, but if you don't already have one from DC1 perhaps you won't need.

electrasy Tue 24-Jan-17 06:33:24

For you, make sure you've got dark stuff for post birth. I found black yoga pants and a black dressing gown invaluable. And don't forget a couple of packs of massive black pants to go with those maternity pads.

Heirhelp Tue 24-Jan-17 19:06:14

You don't need to sterilise bottles for breast milk.

Look for local breast feeding support eg meetings or Facebook groups.

mimiholls Tue 24-Jan-17 19:14:25

You most definitely do need to sterilise bottles for breast milk for a newborn.

daisydalrymple Tue 24-Jan-17 19:20:58

Locate the pram and car seat, buy the nappies and pack your bag ASAP. Dc3 was 3.5 weeks early after two overdue babies. Everything was 'in the loft' etc grin

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 24-Jan-17 21:38:07

[quietly panics]

Do prams and cots need new mattresses? I know you're not supposed to have them second hand but does that include your second child? I suppose it does!

electrasy Tue 24-Jan-17 22:52:42

I had a 3 year gap and I didn't replace, although our cot mattress never went into storage in between, just stayed in the room and we didn't have a pram mattress just a buggy. I did replace the Moses basket mattress as it smelt musty, but DC2 never spent more than 10min on that new mattress and co-slept on our (much older) mattress.

picklemepopcorn Wed 25-Jan-17 07:31:40

Stuff out of the loft, just in case.
Hospital bag: including big knickers and soft maternity pads, not the ultra thin ones as they irritate
Changing bag: cotton wool, wipes, sudocreme, nappies.
Baby bedding.
Stock freezer and batch cook.

Gifts for new baby and sibling are lovely ideas.

Busy days!

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 25-Jan-17 09:24:21

OK, will send DH up to the loft this weekend (slight complication is that our building work means we are not living in our actual house, and won't be for another few weeks, but think it makes sense to at least get the car seat and co-sleeper cot down to air).

daisydalrymple Wed 25-Jan-17 13:49:02

The used mattress thing is a link with SIDS. I don't know enough about it now, think it may have been to do with the indent another baby may have left? I think the link is higher if it's a mattress from another home, but I really don't know enough about it other than to say have a Google and see what you think is current best advice.

Very best wishes with it all, busy time for you!!

picklemepopcorn Wed 25-Jan-17 14:48:55

It's the dribble and wee in the old mattress. It reacts with something...
I think if you had an absolutely waterproof mattress cover it would be ok, but best check it out on google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now