Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions on clothes for my large 19-month old, please!

(16 Posts)
QuercusQuercus Mon 23-Jan-17 15:00:46

My toddler daughter is a big girl (98th percentile for weight). She's tall hip to shoulder, but her arms and legs aren't very long. I've always found it difficult to clothe her, as things which fit crotch to shoulder are too long on the legs and arms (dungarees, vests) and trousers which give her enough room round her tummy are massively too long. Cardis which will actually button up over her belly are 3'' too long in the arms. I've resorted to hemming up her vest sleeves with a needle and thread, but it's time-consuming and makes me feel like a Victorian housewife. Things are particularly bad now the age banding for clothing is going from 6 months to a whole year (i.e. she's in 18-24 month now, going into 2-3 years). Everything is massively too long.

Does anyone know of any shops that sell stuff which is sized for bigger toddlers? Or am I going to have to put her in smock dresses until she's 3? Advice appreciated smile

OuchBollocks Mon 23-Jan-17 15:02:44

Frugi sell clothes cut for cloth nappies so they come up a lot looser than other clothes. They're expensive but wash well so you can get great second hand ones for much cheaper on Facebook selling groups etc

QuercusQuercus Mon 23-Jan-17 15:17:04

Yeah, I should have mentioned we're using cloth nappies as well! smile Cheers, I haven't heard of the brand so I'll check it out

minipie Mon 23-Jan-17 15:25:08

Ah she sounds like DD (massive belly, short legs!)

Try JoJoMaman - usually quite big in the middle section and shorter arms/legs comparitively. Though they have very little on the site at the moment, I think because they are between seasons. Their dungarees are working well on DD, I think the belly is using up some of the length grin so it evens out.

We have the cardi issue too - I try to get longer style (hip length) cardigans rather than ones meant to end at the waist. Vertbaudet has a few of those.

Trousers, DD's are generally turned up so ones with a pretty lining work well.

Sleeves we don't have the same issue (now wondering if DD is actually an orangutan!)

QuercusQuercus Mon 23-Jan-17 19:16:47

Thanks minipie. Yep, she has a massive belly. I would describe her as 'stout' smile I like a bit of JoJo's, and yes I recall now that they do troyser turnups with nice lining. I will also take a look at Vertbaudet

MyMrKnightley Tue 24-Jan-17 08:21:02

Love frugi for cloth bums worth checking back in a while as they are between seasons and are a bit limited on sizes at the moment

www.welovefrugi.com

Clearance company that has some great bargains check out the Libby leggings from frugi

www.rainbownationclothing.com

Brilliant knitted leggings in funky designs also fit over cloth very well.

www.bladeandrose.co.uk

Not sure what you mean regarding vests, I have a problem with them being too short before too skinny so I use extenders below. I find mothercare and Tesco vests considerably wider than next and any European brands.

www.littlelambnappies.com/accessories/vest-extender

QuercusQuercus Tue 24-Jan-17 09:02:26

Wow, thanks! Lots of great leads there

finova Tue 24-Jan-17 09:05:40

Tights and shorts?
Next do tunic tops/dresses in 2 for £12, try with leggings?

SolomanDaisy Tue 24-Jan-17 09:13:50

I found Boden was a great fit for my similar shaped DS and their baby range goes up to 3.

QuercusQuercus Tue 24-Jan-17 09:19:57

Thanks finova, I'll look at the dresses. Slight problem with tights and leggings in that if they're not too long in the leg then they tend to be super-tight on her thighs and bite into her little belly sad

I've never looked at Boden, must try it!

Artandco Tue 24-Jan-17 09:30:26

Disana dungerees

minipie Tue 24-Jan-17 09:55:49

Leggings and tights aren't brilliant here either, though I think it helps that DD is wearing her sister's hand me downs so the elastic is knackered grin

I do recommend dungarees, especially if cut generously or made of stretchy material. Trousers, get ones with elastic waist - DD has a pair of lined cords from Gap like these ones which she is wearing a lot in this weather, they have a comfy elastic waist and pretty lining.

marthastew Tue 24-Jan-17 10:09:08

Polarn O Pyrot clothes are good as many styles have cuffs on the arms and ankles that are designed to be folded up at first and then down when the child gets bigger. They are genius.

primaryboodle Tue 24-Jan-17 10:22:09

ouchbollocks i wondered why frugi was so big! Dd in 6-9 months clothes but still easily fits her 0-3 month frugi vests!

ElleDubloo Wed 25-Jan-17 15:43:40

I used to love Frugi when I had a fat little baby on the 95% centile smile They're organic cotton, bright and beautiful. (And very expensive... I used to ask for them from friends/family when they asked us what we wanted as a gift for the baby.)

Alternatively, buy soft trousers for age 2-4 and roll up the legs.

QuercusQuercus Wed 25-Jan-17 15:57:46

Great! It's her birthday in spring . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now