Talk

Advanced search

Dealing with 4.5 month olds first cold - Help

(9 Posts)
keylovesAva Sun 22-Jan-17 10:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Me624 Sun 22-Jan-17 11:31:04

I'd say you've been very lucky to make it to 4.5 months before getting your first cold!

My DS is nearly 11 months now and he had a permanent cold from about October until Christmas, then it cleared up and now he's just started nursery so of course it's back and I'm expecting it to stay until about May.

It's business as usual when DS has one, walks and fresh air are good, just make sure she's wrapped up warm. Give her some calpol if she's really grizzly but DS makes it through most colds without really needing it.

You've already got nasal spray and snot suckers, if she's struggling to sleep from being bunged up you might like to get a calpol plug in or a humidifier, we have a Vicks humidifier for DS which gives off a lovely vicksy steam (the room needs to be well ventilated though or you will get moisture everywhere).

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 22-Jan-17 13:00:17

Fresh air is good as it opens up the airways. If they're struggling sleeping at night they might want to nap more, and potentially upright on you. Otherwise, beyond saline, steam, vapourisers, (humidifier for a cough) you just need to wait it out. I think it bothers us more than it does them in general

keylovesAva Sun 22-Jan-17 15:09:28

keylovesAva Sun 22-Jan-17 15:12:58

Della1 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:51:08

Yes yes to calpol plug in- love them!

girlelephant Sun 22-Jan-17 19:58:25

Another "yes" to a Calpol plug.

Also lots of steam therapy so take DD into bathroom with you during showers.

Other than that try to keep to normal routine where possible but she may be grumpier or more tired than usual. As you said make sure she's keeping hydrated so lots of wet and dirty nappies.

My GP also gave me saline solution for my DS nose but he got so distressed with it I didn't use it and relied on Baby Snuffles on his chest, holding a tissue with Olbas Oil near him and the Calpol plug.

ODog Sun 22-Jan-17 20:34:02

First colds are awful and I hate to tell you but babies have 8-12 colds in their first year. No need to lock yourself away - you and baby will go crazy. Carry on as normal and take babies lead when it comes to sleep/eating/play etc. Fresh air is probably the. Eat thing for everyone!

ODog Sun 22-Jan-17 21:11:10

First colds are awful and I hate to tell you but babies have 8-12 colds in their first year. No need to lock yourself away - you and baby will go crazy. Carry on as normal and take babies lead when it comes to sleep/eating/play etc. Fresh air is probably the. Eat thing for everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now