Talk

Advanced search

How much milk for an 18 month old?

(6 Posts)
WaterLilie Sat 21-Jan-17 22:12:34

Hi, does anyone know how much milk an 18 month old should drink? I can't find any information on the internet. Also, my daughter refuses to drink milk from a sippy cup and only drinks from a bottle. Can anyone recommend something that might be suitable as an alternative to a bottle? I have read that you should stop a bottle of milk at 12 months as it's bad for the teeth. Thanks.

pizzaparty Sat 21-Jan-17 22:29:54

At 18 months my DS was having a bottle in the morning of about 200mls then the same at night before bed. Now at 2.4yrs he has a bottle at night, 200mls. If he asks for milk during the day I give it to him in a cup and have done for a while. It was kind of a natural transition, he started picking up my glass of water and drinking from that. With regard to bottles being bad for their teeth I'm not sure how that works. DS drinks his bottle in about 2 minutes flat then brushes his teeth then bed. However I suppose he can't drink from a bottle forever so maybe I should think about changing that night time drink to a cup.

Lalunya85 Sat 21-Jan-17 22:34:03

My understanding is that they don't need any milk at this age anymore, if they eat enough portions of dairy throughout the day (cheese, yogurt etc.).

Mine were both good eaters and at 18 months would only get a small cup (100ml) of goats or cows milk before bed. Sometimes not even that.

skankingpiglet Sat 21-Jan-17 22:43:13

At 18mo DD1 was having one sippy cup of milk when she woke up (still does at 2.7 but in a straw cup now). She had a bottle before bed and one in the morning up to 16mo when we decided to go cold turkey on the bottles. Up to that point she'd refused to drink milk out of anything else and as a result she dropped the bed time milk completely but started taking the morning one again after a couple of days.

I agree with pizzaparty, if the bottle is downed quickly and teeth are brushed straight after I can't see how it's a huge deal at 18mo if your DD really won't entertain anything other than a bottle.

dementedpixie Sat 21-Jan-17 22:45:14

It's 300mls or the equivalent in other dairy products/other calcium sources from age 1-3 years

dementedpixie Sat 21-Jan-17 22:47:42

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/milk-dairy-foods.aspx - gives amounts here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now