Talk

Advanced search

Good parenting books for new parents

(8 Posts)
ClaireSunflower Fri 20-Jan-17 18:32:53

Hi all, my husband and I are expecting our first baby in May and I'm starting to worry slightly that I have absolutely no experience with babies! Are there any good parenting books that you would recommend for the first year with basic tips on how to look after a newborn? Obviously I'm not going to learn everything I need from a book but it would really help me a bit if I could read up while I have the chance!

FizzyFeet Sat 21-Jan-17 19:39:55

Congratulations!

I'd recommend First Time Parent by Lucy Atkins - very practical, down to earth and covers the very basic of basics with lots of photos (much needed in my house!) Watch out for the advice on formula feeding, though (if you do formula feed) as the edition I have has out of date info (you are now meant to make up bottles fresh each time rather than storing in the fridge).

I also referred to The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg BUT more for the general patterns after a few months old (EASY - Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time). This book and the others like it can be a bit dictatorial so I would strongly urge you to just take the bits that are useful to you, and don't drive yourself mad if it's not working. As is often said on here, your baby hasn't read the manual!

PovertyJetset Sat 21-Jan-17 19:42:07

I had a Penelope leach one which was week by week and very comprehensive.

Unless you are desperate to want baby in a "routine" I wouldn't bother.

I found that baby whisperer infuriating!

AliceInHinterland Sat 21-Jan-17 19:44:09

Best friends' guide to babies.
I nearly cried with joy after I read the bit about being desperate to hand the baby over to the working parent the second they stepped through the door. I thought it was just me.

ODog Sat 21-Jan-17 21:35:16

Sarah ockwell smith is a good alternative to some of the more mainstream books. More of an attachment parent/baby-led approach.

TwistedReach Sat 21-Jan-17 21:39:38

www.amazon.co.uk/Finding-Your-Way-Baby/dp/113878706X?tag=mumsnetforum-21

and the tavistock clinic series first book: understanding your baby

Timeforabiscuit Sat 21-Jan-17 21:41:17

I loved parenting for dummies blush

Might not make a great gift though!

beargrass Sat 21-Jan-17 21:48:51

Second the Baby Whisperer because it's so easy to remember. Gina Ford, once you feel up to reading after the shock of a new born wears off and sleep deprivation kicks in! It's a bit prescriptive but routine means I get a two hour lunch break most days. Your midwives will likely tell you not to follow a routine. That might be fine but I couldn't handle not knowing when I could get anything done and when I could possibly get to sleeping through the night.

I would also read up on bottle and mixed feeding. I had no idea mixed feeding was a thing and breastfeeding just completely broke me. I know a couple of people who did mixed feeding and it's worked really well for them. I also didn't know you should swap sides eve bottle feeding because all the advice is to breast feed so you don't get all the information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now