Talk

Advanced search

Tips/advice on burping baby

(17 Posts)
LauraLovesDaisy Tue 17-Jan-17 16:39:58

Hi everyone
Please can you offer me some advice and tips on the best ways to help my 3 months old daughter bring up her wind after feeds.
At the moment I burp her half way and at the end of feeds by sitting her up and gently rubbing/patting her back, or if that doesn't work sometimes putting her over my shoulder and doing the same is more effective.
However this doesn't always work and I'm wondering if anyone's found better ways? I've found infacol helps, however Naomi has reflux and I find infacol makes that worse (she takes ranitidine which is mostly helping). She doesn't easily bring up her wind and it clearly makes her uncomfortable and unable to take as much milk as she'd like.
Many thanks smile

Bumplovin Tue 17-Jan-17 16:52:45

Interested too my little girl struggles to burp and has such bad colic, we found infacol helped the burping but then she has reflux too so just been started on ranitidine also. How long did u take to see an effect from ranitidine we have been on it less than a week. I stopped the infacol yesterday as someone in another forum said her gp said infacol would open up the oesophagus more thus allowing more acid up if they have reflux so since we realised she had reflux not just burping problems we stopped it however she is now difficult to burp again and I don't know whether to reintroduce infacol! It's so hard isn't it. We have trained lying her face down over our forearm helps and dies siting her on our knee and flexing her trunk forwards and back and in circles

cooltalkineverlivin Tue 17-Jan-17 16:54:34

A baby will bring up their wind on their own given enough time. If you can have patience at this stage and just hold her upright her physiology will do the rest without you having to pat or jostle.

Stay patient. (Mother of four speaking).

JournosAreLazy Tue 17-Jan-17 16:56:14

I found gripe water a miracle worker. Much better than infacol or infant gaviscon.

LauraLovesDaisy Tue 17-Jan-17 17:06:16

Thanks ladies!

Haven't figured out how to link names in my replies sorry!

Yep I have found wind just comes up given time, just have to be patient I know! Problem is sometimes she screams until the wind comes out which is horrible for everyone esp poor bub.

Have not tried gripe water but will give it a go thanks!

Ranitidine improved things a bit within a few days, but it takes a couple of weeks to really kick in. Naomi isn't 100% cured of the reflux but it's so so much better. She's been taking it for about 6 weeks now. Dosage is critical and will change as your baby gets bigger, so you need to keep on top of this. Your pharmacist can advice you. Good luck reflux is awful x

liquidrevolution Tue 17-Jan-17 17:17:26

If all else fails try walking up and down stairs

LauraLovesDaisy Tue 17-Jan-17 17:19:45

Thanks but I live in a flat lol grin

LauraLovesDaisy Tue 17-Jan-17 17:21:09

Oops posted too soon, could walk her up and down the stairs in the corridor but don't want to upset my neighbours!

liquidrevolution Tue 17-Jan-17 17:22:37

March on the spot but exaggerate the up and down?

AyeAmarok Tue 17-Jan-17 17:22:49

I find dunking the dummy in Gripe water helps, the recommended dose gave my DC the runs.

LauraLovesDaisy Tue 17-Jan-17 17:49:14

Marching up and down totally works, thank you!

Heirhelp Tue 17-Jan-17 17:53:45

Gripe water! Get the gripe water mixture from boots and ask for a couple of syringes to measure it with.

I found a variety of different things including bouncing on knee helped and rocking from a sitting to a laying down position aka row, row. Row your boat actions.

chloechloe Tue 17-Jan-17 21:23:17

I was about to suggest the stairs too! Often if you burp them sitting down the motion of standing up is enough to bring up a good burp!

empirerecordsrocked Tue 17-Jan-17 21:30:07

This is a bit odd but I used to hold baby, stand up and then tip them back towards the floor really really slowly and bring them up again really really slowly.

Dts were gassy refluxy nightmares and this was the only thing that got the air out. Otherwise they would scream in pain and end up gulping more air in.

Bumplovin Tue 17-Jan-17 23:56:18

These tips are great! I went out for a coffee today and I'd been trying to wind her and a stranger asked for a cuddle and they said ah she's got wind and gave her one pat and out and a burp! How do other people have the knack of making your baby look so easy haha

LauraLovesDaisy Wed 18-Jan-17 09:13:58

Thanks for the tips all! X

Heirhelp Wed 18-Jan-17 09:15:52

Some times I think it take a while for the wind to disclodge and then one final movement brings it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now