Talk

Advanced search

Please help me diagnose 5mo's sudden non stop screaming?

(5 Posts)
Supercrusier Tue 17-Jan-17 12:55:00

I have a five month old who has been a pretty perfect sleeper until 3 days ago. He's large - was born on 65th percentile, is now on 98th. He's EBF and has been sleeping through the night since 3 months. I would BF him to sleep at 8.30pm and he would wake at 7am for another feed. Pretty damn perfect!

A few days ago he started waking at 5am, then 4am, and then last night he fell asleep at 8.30, woke at midnight, 1am, 3am, 5am and 8am. Each time screaming. I fed him each time but by 5am he was not remotely hungry (I had lots of milk still) and just cried and cried.

Since 5am today he has been screaming. He is not even comforted by being held. I have tried sling, pushchair, putting him down, picking him up, felt round his mouth for teething (nothing,) breastfeeding (he's not hungry at all,) baby rice mixed in with breast milk, I've even tried a drop of formula milk in case my breast milk tastes not right or different. None of that has worked.

He has been scratching and pinching me and very frustrated with me. I understand that lots of parents have it much worse, but it's the sudden change I am worried about.

He stretches out flat when he cries as if he is rooting/in pain, but then he doesn't want to be fed. This makes me think tummy ache but at other times he just seems really overtired. His eye rims are very red and he is rubbing his face a lot.

I ended up giving him 2.5ml of calpol without taking his temperature. This has made him fall into a grizzly half sleep, but he is still crying. I just took his temperature and it is 98.7. Is this high for a baby who has just taken calpol?

Is there anything I am not thinking of?

ODog Tue 17-Jan-17 14:19:28

Sounds like it could be teething. You may not be able to feel anything in his mouth just yet but the teeth starting to move down can cause pain and discomfort. I have no idea what the temp is in Celsius but my gp counts anything over 37 as a fever that requires investigating in babies.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 17-Jan-17 20:03:02

His temperature does seem a little raised. What is it now and has he stopped crying yet?

AprilShowers16 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:09:26

We have had similar crying and temperature here - i'm pretty sure it's teething as apparently it can be painful even before you start to see teeth as they move around. Stock up on calpol, teething gel and powder and see if that helps?

ZZZZ1111 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:31:34

It would be unusual for your baby to be in such pain from teething at 3months. Some babies teeth at this age but most don't start until 5 months ish.

If you're worried I would probably call 111 and see whether they think your baby should have a check up.

Otherwise I guess it could be anything really and just a phase that will pass! I'm sure your baby will appreciate cuddles in the meantime! If your baby likes a bath these can be nice and relaxing when they are distressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now