Talk

Advanced search

Potty training help

(4 Posts)
ironmanslady Mon 16-Jan-17 11:06:48

I know this probably gets asked multiple times but I'm stuck blush
My Ds is 2 and a half. He has done random wees on the potty in past we've just encouraged but not pushed it. Today I decided it's time to start. I got him some big boy pants popped them on (he knows how to take them off and was taking them off and sitting on potty himself etc) put his potty down told him to go in the potty. When he needed a wee he just stood there, peed through his pants onto the floor and wasn't concerned that he was wet or anything. I just said oh dear cleaned him up no big deal but does this mean he's not ready and I should try again in a few weeks? He'll tell me if he's done a poo but wee's don't bother him at all.
He'll sit for short period on the potty and then say 'I done' there's nothing there.
I've tried to encourage him to sit on it longer and tried my best to explain what he has to do etc but I'm not sure he's getting it.
I'm just concerned because he's already 2 and a half and most kids I know were trained by now confused

Phoenix76 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:58:25

Potty training is not easy! What works for one doesn't always work for another but here's what worked for my dd, you may find it'll be trial & error from any suggestions you may get! Firstly though, you're doing great and everything you've described is normal. My dd seemed to be the last in our circle of friends to "get it" but be aware of "false claims" 😉
I let dd chose her own big girl knickers
I got a Thomas the Tank engine potty from Argos (primarily aimed at boys plays the theme tune with successful wee) she loves Thomas!
I bought some special stickers she got one for a wee to decorate her potty
I made it no big deal if unsuccessful, same as you, but massive praise when she was. Please try not to stress, he's still so young and for his age I'd say he's fine. Good luck x

Flingmoo Mon 16-Jan-17 22:12:35

Firstly, these days 3 seems to be the norm rather than 2.

Secondly, don't worry - it's only day 1! Give it another couple of days before you give up- unless he gets really upset about it there's no reason to stop after one day. He may need 2 or 3 days of wetting himself before he starts to become familiar with the sensation and starts to learn when it's about to happen. I didn't even bother with bribery with my son in the end, just praise when he got it right and "oh dear nevermind, let's get a fresh pair of pants and you can help mummy clean the mess up."

ironmanslady Tue 17-Jan-17 12:19:06

Thank you smile I decided to go at my Ds' pace and this morning he took it upon himself to take off all his clothes sit on the potty and go for a wee! Massive praise from me after and he was very pleased with himself!
He did it in the bathroom so maybe he associates that more with it as yesterday we were doing it in the lounge. Either way it's a step in the right direction so I'm very pleased grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now