Talk

Advanced search

Fingers in mouth

(10 Posts)
haylosler91 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:32:55

Hi all.

My little boy is 1 and he's always got his fingers in his mouth he had a dummy for the first 2 months but then no longer wanted it so not putting it down to that. I tell him "take your fingers out your mouth" and he does however 1 minute later they're back in there again..

Also how the heck do I stop him screaming in general and in temper. No matter how much I tell him no he does it more
Thanks

mimiholls Mon 16-Jan-17 12:29:08

Why does it matter if he's got his fingers in his mouth?

dalmatianmad Mon 16-Jan-17 12:35:30

I think its completely normal for a baby to constantly have his hands in his mouth hmm wait until be starts trying to eat every morsel and crumb he finds....

haylosler91 Mon 16-Jan-17 12:43:06

It matters because he bites his fingers.

He's a 2 stone one year old so he tries to everyone else's food plus his own.

I don't like the fact he's biting himself sad

annlee3817 Mon 16-Jan-17 12:46:00

My DD does this particularly when she's teething. The shouting/screaming is a phase that will continue whilst he can't communicate with words, it's completely normal. All part and parcel of their development. Don't get me wrong, they'll still have the ability to throw a whopping tantrum once they can speak.

annlee3817 Mon 16-Jan-17 12:47:24

Carrot sticks are good for chewers, particularly if teething as nice and cool on the gums

haylosler91 Mon 16-Jan-17 12:52:35

He's got most of his teeth already started getting teeth quite early. Can imagine it's probably his last teeth coming through then. I just hate thinking that when he's biting himself and he's going to leave a mark

This is probably going to sound awful to all mums but I also have a 6 year old girl but she was adoped , abusive relationship before people judge me.. Thought I was protecting her by staying with him as he threatened to hurt her if I left him...
So you can see why I'm worried by him biting himself as I had to have social services involvement at the beginning ( they're no longer involved )

mimiholls Mon 16-Jan-17 13:02:49

I really don't think you need to worry. Is he causing himself serious injury biting his fingers? I think it's really normal for babies this age to have their hands constantly in their mouths, as well as anything else they get their hands on, so I'm really not sure there's much you can do to stop him.

Caterina99 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:54:41

im certain my 18 month old is currently teething as his fingers are constantly in his mouth! It's definitely annoying but seems pretty normal

I doubt he's biting himself enough to cause serious harm. I'd take him to doctor if he was drawing blood or anything, but he's probably just chewing on them

Lireal Mon 16-Jan-17 16:14:22

Completely normal behavior. Try offering him a teething toy. You should not be scared to ask your health visitors advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now