Talk

Advanced search

Making up bottles for going out

(38 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:58:11

I'm going out for several hours this week with my newborn and wondered what I do for making up her bottle when out. She won't be feeding til at least three hours after we leave. Please advise what I do? Take empty bottles and ask for boiling water to mix with formula from pot? If so, is the empty bottle still sterile after several hours? I can't use ready maxes as my baby has lactose free? Do I need to buy a bottle warmer? Don't know anything about them!

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 15-Jan-17 21:01:39

Fill a bottle to the top with boiled water, leave to cool.
Take that bottle, an empty bottle and pre-measured formula powder in a container.
While you're out, get a little bit of boiling water from a cafe or wherever and put that in the empty bottle with your formula powder and shake it until dissolved, then top up with the cooled water. Hey presto!

Jellybean100 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:38:18

Take a thermos flask and measured powder and an empty bottle. Make up fresh and ask cafe for ice to cool. Bottle is fresh for 2 hours so if you are able to predict when baby will want a feed you can make it up an hour or so in advance to allow to cool x

NapQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 22:39:21

I used to make 4 at a time and chill them. Take out ready made in a cool bag and feed at room temperature.

YesThisIsMe Sun 15-Jan-17 22:43:03

If you're a bit twitchy about it then for just over a quid you could get a ready made guaranteed safe bottle (or mini pouch or carton maybe).
Extortionate for every day use but for a one off while you're finding your feet maybe a quid well spent.
m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FSMA-PRO-First-Infant-Milk-From-Birth-6x70ml-Starter-Pack_1789941%2F&unCountry=uk

heymammy Sun 15-Jan-17 22:58:16

You can also buy ready made formula in cartons which can just be poured into the bottles. Much less faff for out of the house.

boopdoop Sun 15-Jan-17 23:09:50

sorry this is long... a couple of times people have asked me about it in the past, so i had this typed up having sent it to them….

A couple of things which I’ve found so so helpful for when out and doing bottles...

- Fridge-to-go: www.amazon.co.uk/223/dp/B0040AJP5W - this is amazing! It keeps bottles at fridge temperature for up to 8 hours, which means you can make up your bottles and take them with you, and they stay cold enough. With one extra normal freeze block in it even kept stuff frozen between southport and burgess hill!! Very impressive! I can’t recommend this highly enough with bottles, as its saved us a fortune being about to use this and make up bottles. And as they get older you can use it for lunches etc too, keeping yoghurts and cheese cold on days out!

- Travel bottle warmer (which you’ve borrowed too!): www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Travel/dp/B002L3TEN8 - Obviously if you are out and about and kept the bottles at fridge temp, the you need to heat them up. Most places refuse to heat bottles up now, so you have to have your own. This is really useful.

Also, I know the formula box says use it within 4 hours if in the fridge i think, but if you put it straight into the fridge (bottom shelf towards the back) then it cools quickly and you can leave it longer. We went with 12 hours which meant it was fine in the coolbag I mentioned above all day. Its only about bacteria growing, but its ok as long as its quickly cooled and kept cold, then just re-heat when needed. (in hospital they make it up the formula once or twice a day, so even for newborns in hospital, the formula is in the fridge for up to 12 hours, once i knew that, i was a bit more relaxed about it!!!)

boopdoop Sun 15-Jan-17 23:10:33

Sorry, ignore the bit about having borrowed obviously, cut and paste from a recent email to s friend!

Heirhelp Mon 16-Jan-17 08:46:22

place marking. Will post later.

Heirhelp Mon 16-Jan-17 11:51:23

My DD is also lactose intolerant but hopefully only temporarily. As she is 8 months she has larger bottles than a new born so you would have to adjust the sizes.

I take out a bottle of 5oz water, another baby bottle, a small flask of hot water and 8oz of formula pressured in a small container. I measure 3oz of hot water into the empty bottle, add the milk powder and shake then add the cooled water and shake. The milk is ready to serve.

estateagentfromhell Mon 16-Jan-17 14:14:11

Honestly, just buy some pre-made cartons for times like this. The Aptamil bottles work out as 80p each and will save you so much faff and risk.

Timetogrowup2016 Mon 16-Jan-17 14:28:04

She can't buy ready made as baby is on a special milk for dietary needs

YesThisIsMe Mon 16-Jan-17 14:40:08

Oh yes sorry, completely missed that.

Craftycakey15 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:42:18

Thanks. I have ordered the travel bottle warmer. Will read the thread properly tomorrow and respond as baby has been playing up today and exhausted me!

Craftycakey15 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:39:07

Right I'm going to try all these different ways and get back to you. Heirhelp thanks for letting me know your measures for hot and cool water. It really does seem daunting and such a hassle but I need to get out there with the baby.

I didn't realise and only read today that bottles are sterile for 24 hours if you keep a lid on them.

Heirhelp Wed 18-Jan-17 11:25:05

Craftycakey it is daunting going out with any new born. Just take it at your own pace there is no rush.

My daughter's lactose intolerance developed at 7 months after a tummy bug so it is probably secondary but I was warned that sometimes cow milk allergy can initially improve with lactose free but baby then gets symptoms again.

BertieBotts Wed 18-Jan-17 11:32:37

If you're going to make up and feed immediately then sterility is not as much of a concern as it would be if you were planning to make the bottle in advance.

Craftycakey15 Wed 18-Jan-17 11:35:32

boopdoop i know this sounds stupid but I dont know anything about the keeping bottles cold business? I have a Tommy Tippee prep machine at home that makes a bottle in minutes so thats why I am quite ignorant of how to make bottles the traditional way?

Thingywhatsit Wed 18-Jan-17 11:38:33

this is what I used to do for all feeds whether I was home or not. Every morning I would sterilise small bottles with flat lids (not teats) would then fill with boiled water to approx 2/3 of feed (so if making 6oz it would be 4oz of water.) these would be left to cool and put in fridge.

Then I would fill pots of formula, and sterilise bottles and teats. Then to make a bottle I just had to use a bottle add 2oz of hot water, add pre measured formula and shake. Then add cooled water and the bottle would be at correct temperature. No screaming baby waiting ages for a bottle. And then if I decided to go out it was just a case of boiling kettle and taking hot water in the tommee tippee warmer mentioned above and chucking bottle/water/measured formula in the baby bag. Never worried about not being able to make a feed when stuck watching rugby or something on a Saturday morning!

PonderLand Wed 18-Jan-17 11:43:47

My son is also on prescription formula so no ready mades for us either sad
I add boiling water to a sterile bottle and put it in the bottle part of my bag, then when baby is due a feed I add the powder and shake! Simple. The water is always just the right temp smile The powder my lb has needs to be mixed with room temp water not boiling.
The other mums I know have 3ml in a bottle and add 3ml from a flask and then add powder.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-Jan-17 13:13:51

This issue comes up a lot and so many different people have their own way of addressing it.

I work with young babies and I see so many parents making up bottles with cold sterile water because they genuinely don't realise that formula has to be added to hot water. It is the heat of the water that sterilises the powder yet some people seem to think that as long as the water is sterile then its fine to add powder to it.

At work we are very rigid about the guidelines of making up formula in that we boil the kettle, pour the required amount of boiling water into the bottle, wait for 15 minutes and then add the formula to ensure it's being added to water at the correct temperature to sterilise it. We then give the bottle to the parents in a jug of cold water so they can then cool it to the temperature of their choice.

I know some people use the technique of using half boiled and half pre-boiled water to make a bottle, I.e add 6 scoops of powder to 3oz of boiling water to sterilise the powder and then add another 3oz of cool boiled water to make up the bottle to the correct volume and it be at room temperature but we are discouraged from doing this. One of the main reasons we are told not to do this is because adding powder to boiling hot water can damage some of the ingredients (possibly the proteins) because of it being exposed to such extreme heat though I'm not sure how true this is to be honest, I haven't really ever looked into it.

A poster above mentioned one lady mixing 3oz of boiling water and 3oz of pre-boiled water together first and then adding the powder, but I imagine this would mean the powder isn't being added to hot enough water to kill the bacteria?

I suppose the safest way to make up bottles for going out is to have a flask of boiling water and a pot of pre-measured formula and just prepare the bottle when it's needed? I always thought that FF babies were on pretty good feeding routines so would be easy enough to predict when their next bottle was due and start preparing it 15 minutes before hand? I say this with no personal experience of a FF baby though grin

One thing I would be interested to know for the purpose of work is can bottles be reheated? I read on here of people making up bottles, popping them in the fridge and then warming them up again when needed whereas at work we're always told it's a big no-no and that once a feed has been made up, once it has cooled it cannot be heated up again. We are also told that a formula feed must be consumed within an hour of it being made up and then it must be discarded due to bacteria starting to be produced within the milk. Is this a general rule most parents know about as some parents at work look amazed/shocked when I go to dispose of milk bottles that have been sat around for over an hour and tell them I will bring them a fresh one.

I also come across some parents who ask for a bottle of milk but then half an hour later say they offered it to the baby but he was really fussy so they stopped trying but then ask me to re-heat because baby now wants it - is this safe? We always tell parents we can't do that and will make them a fresh bottle up but the fact that they're asking us to do it implies it's normal practice for them?

I always see comments on here about how there should be education about formula feeding for new parents prior to babies arriving and I completely ageee because it sounds like a total minefield of different people doing different things confused grin

clarabellski Wed 18-Jan-17 13:40:29

The NHS in Scotland have a leaflet about how to make up feeds:

www.healthscotland.com/uploads/documents/5523-Formula%20feeding%20booklet-8-16.pdf

See page 29 which is relevant to your position OP. I'm assuming NHS England have similar advice.

I must admit that from about 12 weeks, I started making up all the bottles I needed for the 24 period in one go, and stored them in the fridge until required. This is NOT recommended by NHS guidelines but it didn't cause any problems for us. I'm lucky as well in that DS will drink milk at any temperature, so I didn't need to bother with reheating bottles. He'd drink it cold from the fridge.

Heirhelp Wed 18-Jan-17 14:01:10

My HV said it was OK To make up bottles, cool and put in the fridge for 24 hours but I found it took too long too cool.

The formula box says milk should be used within 2 hours of making or an hour of the baby starting the bottles, whichever is soonest.

FF babies should be feed on demand so in a young baby that will be hard to predict. For my 8 month old is very predictable that she will want milk after a sleep but I have no idea how long she will sleep for especially if we are out and about.

Chocolateorangegoblin Wed 18-Jan-17 22:57:44

CMPI baby so no pre made formula here either. Iake 24 hours worth of milk,cool and then keep in the fridge until needed.
For going out I use a cool bag and then just get it heated up or take it out the bag in advance so it warms up a bit. DS drinks it at room temp though so no need to heat it as such.
If I'm going to be out for longer than 4 hours (how long it stays cool in the cool bag for) I take an empty bottle and powder then ask for hot water from a cafe andake a fresh bottle then wait for it to cool.
DS is fed on demand but I can kind of predict when he will need a fresh bottle depending on how much and how recently he's fed.

Craftycakey15 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:10:58

chocolateorangegoblin slight detour here but my baby has silent reflux and we think lactose intolerant. How do you get the diagnosis for cmpi and know that is the case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now