Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cracked sore thumb due to constant sucking

(7 Posts)
Taichimum Thu 22-Feb-07 23:37:53

My DS 23 months has always sucked his thumb but has stepped it up recently. He used to just suck it when he was really tired or upset, but now it is anytime of the day or night.
Consequently in the last week his thumb has become really sore. It is really dry,red and cracked.
I am reluctant to put anything on it because it will end up in his mouth sooner or later. Any advice on how to sooth it a bit or should I just leave it?
Also do you think I need to worry about the increase in sucking. I wondered if it is a sign of increased anxiety as he is becoming more consious of his world. It does come at the same time as a massive language and comprehension explosion. Any advice appreciated

TheBlonde Fri 23-Feb-07 08:50:16

Try a bit of diprobase

popsycal Fri 23-Feb-07 08:51:12

this happens to me - not from thumb sucking thogh lol
lansinoh nipple cream - honestly - it is the best and you don't need to worry about him sucking it....it is fine

that i know this

TheBlonde Fri 23-Feb-07 09:08:51

Fab suggestion popsycal - I will use that on DS's thumb next time

popsycal Fri 23-Feb-07 09:17:09

it also works on manky cracked heels too - leave it overnight

Taichimum Fri 23-Feb-07 09:59:34

Thanks so much- that is a very logical suggestion. Of course babes must injest a lot of Lanisoh when breast feeding . My ds must have done as I slapped it on!
I will try some at night.

popsycal Fri 23-Feb-07 10:02:17

it is brilliant
really does work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now